I know the book to be a revelation from God, translated by the gift
and power of the Holy Ghost, and that my brother, Joseph Smith, Jun.,
is a prophet, seer and revelator.
First Name:  Last Name: 
Maiden Married
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]

Donate Now
ANDERSON, Dosena Adalena

ANDERSON, Dosena Adalena

Female 1885 - 1977  (92 years)  Submit Photo / DocumentSubmit Photo / Document

 Set As Default Person    

Personal Information    |    Media    |    Notes    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name ANDERSON, Dosena Adalena 
    Born 18 Oct 1885  Ephraim, Sanpete, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Female 
    _TAG Set Family Search - 2015 
    Died 19 Oct 1977  Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Buried 22 Oct 1977  Richfield, Sevier, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Headstones Submit Headstone Photo Submit Headstone Photo 
    Person ID I38134  Joseph Smith Sr and Lucy Mack Smith | Joseph Sr.
    Last Modified 25 Jul 2017 

    Father ANDERSEN, Jens Peter ,   b. 4 Jan 1826, Gammelstrup, Viborg, Denmark Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 11 Dec 1910, Ephraim, Sanpete, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 84 years) 
    Mother JENSEN, Maren ,   b. 12 Jan 1842, Skovehusset, Vreilev, Hjørring, Denmark Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 11 Mar 1917, Ephraim, Sanpete, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 75 years) 
    Married 23 Apr 1852  Ephraim, Sanpete, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • MARRIAGE: Also shown as Married Hoislev, Viborg, Denmark. MARRIAGE: Also shown as Married 5 Dec 1866
    Family ID F8671  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family PETERSON, Soren Daniel ,   b. 25 Dec 1880, Ephraim, Sanpete, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 1 May 1958, Richfield, Sevier, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 77 years) 
    Married 10 Feb 1904 
    Last Modified 13 Sep 2017 
    Family ID F27630  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Event Map
    Link to Google MapsBorn - 18 Oct 1885 - Ephraim, Sanpete, Utah, United States Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsDied - 19 Oct 1977 - Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Earth 
    Pin Legend  : Address       : Location       : City/Town       : County/Shire       : State/Province       : Country       : Not Set

  • Photos
    Phil Peterson and His Mother, Dosena Andersen Peterson Ogden: 1965
    Phil Peterson and His Mother, Dosena Andersen Peterson Ogden: 1965
    Phil Peterson, Anna Peterson Wells and Dosena Peterson Ogden: 1965
    Phil Peterson, Anna Peterson Wells and Dosena Peterson Ogden: 1965
    Dosena Adalene Andersen and Charles L. Ogden
    Dosena Adalene Andersen and Charles L. Ogden
    Dosena Adalene Andersen and Charles L. Ogden
    1909 Formal Portrait
    1909 Formal Portrait

  • Notes 
    • A daughter was born on Saturday, October 18, 1884, to Marie Jensen Andersen and Jens Peter Andersen at Ephraim, Utah. She was born and lived at the old Andersen home on Ephraim's East Center Street just exactly four blocks east of Main Street. The baby was christened Dosena Adalena; Dosena meaning “twelfth child” in Danish. She was the twelfth child her mother had; however, four of the children were by a former marriage. Sena had four full sisters and three full brothers, she was the eighth and last child in the Andersen family

      When Dosena (called Sena) was but a child, both she and her mother were very ill and neither were expected to live. However, they both recovered. Marie, Sena's mother, was in very poor health so her daughter Christiana took care of her most of the time. When Sena was five years old her beloved sister Christiana, who was nineteen years old, died of complications from diphtheria. Sena's father bought the girls a dog so they would not feel so lonesome and sad. The dog was a black and white spaniel type with small black glistening eyes. The dog proved to be a real companion for the girls. Many years later when the girls went home on a visit, old Carlo, who was about 15 years old, still knew them and greeted them as they came through the gate.

      When Sena was but a child the Sanpete Valley train made its first run from Nephi to Manti. On this day, they took anyone who wanted to go free of charge, from Ephraim to Manti and back on the old flat type car. It was surely a disappointment to Sena when her mother refused to let her go. She also saw the train that carried the Spanish American War volunteers. The train was decorated with flags and with red, white, and blue bunting. There was one volunteer from Ephraim, which caused considerable excitement.

      Sena began her schooling at the age of six at the Ephraim Public Grade School. Some of the subjects taught were reading, writing, grammar, arithmetic, history, geography, spelling, and drawing. Her favorite subjects were grammar, spelling, and drawing. Most of the teachers were men.

      The children of the neighborhood usually played after school and at night. In the winter the water was flooded and left to freeze. There was usually enough ice for most any sport. All the children enjoyed sleigh riding behind a horse. The children were bubbling over with enthusiasm when Sena's father promised to take them for a sleigh ride, for he always used the brass sleigh bells his father-in-law had made. The bells made beautiful tinkling sounds, and it was considered a privilege to have a sleigh ride when the bells were used.
      Sena attended Sunday School, Primary, and religion class regularly. When she was nine years old she was baptized a member of the L.D.S. Church by Andrew Thompson Jr. on June 6, 1893, in the Manti Temple. She was confirmed a member of the church by H. Thompson.

      Her father hauled the tithing from Ephraim to Manti in his buggy. She usually accompanied him on these little trips.

      About the age of 14 she was introduced to milking cows. She spent her spare time crocheting and doing other fancy sewing. Her girlfriend taught her how to sew for herself, and she and her friend made most of their clothes as much alike as possible.

      When Sena was 15 years old her older sister Nora was married. A large wedding reception was held in the old Ephraim Opera House. Nora introduced her to Dan Peterson, a cousin of Nora's husband, who was attending Snow College at that time.

      Sena and Dan corresponded for four years. They saw each other about twice a year during that time. She visited at Glenwood three times before she was married. Sena (age 19) and Dan (age 23) were married in the Manti Temple on Wednesday, February 10, 1904.

      When Sena and Dan returned from the temple, a small reception was held in their honor at the Andersen home for Sena's immediate family. Later that evening a group of Sena's friends surprised them with a party.

      Sena and Dan left Ephraim on the morning of the twelfth of February. They had a covered wagon, a coal range, a wardrobe, and numerous things Sena had made or bought. Since Sena was the youngest of the family, it made the parting rather sad. About evening, the newly-married couple reached the half-way mark, a small town known as Axtell. This was where Sena's sister Rinda lived. The weary travelers drove to Rinda's home. They arrived just in time to aid with the arrival of a baby girl born that night to Rinda. The next day they completed the long cold journey to Glenwood, Utah. Dan's parents held a wedding reception and town dance in honor of the newlyweds.

      Dan had already bought a little two-room house just over the fence from his parents. They bought furniture and soon were all settled in their own little home.

      Bishop H.H. Bell made Sena feel very welcome in Glenwood. He wanted to be a very good friend in view of the fact that his father and Sena's father were neighbors when they were first called to settle Glenwood. However, after they had built homes and settled down they were driven out of Glenwood by the Indians. Bishop Bell's father returned to settle Glenwood a little later, but Sena's father returned to Ephraim to settle permanently.

      The winter after their marriage Dan went to the desert to herd sheep. Sena returned to Ephraim to spend the winter with her mother and father. The next spring Dan returned by way of Ephraim and Sena and Dan returned to their home in Glenwood.

      There were several things about Glenwood that Sena thought very nice: the hospitality and friendliness of the people, the clear water supply, and the lake by Prattville with the road around it. Sena was asked to teach Primary in Glenwood, which she willingly did.

      On May 2, 1905, a baby girl was born to the family. She was named Adalena LaVee.

      The next summer Sena and Dan moved to Prattville, a small settlement between Richfield and Glenwood. In the fall of 1906, they moved back to Glenwood where a son, Adrian D., was born on November 28, 1906.
      The summer of 1907 the family moved back to Prattville, and then in August of that year they moved permanently to Richfield. They bought a two-room house on Fourth North. Sena taught Primary in the Richfield Third Ward for a number of years.

      On Sena's birthday, October 18, 1908, another son was added to the family. He was named Ferdie Devol.

      In the fall of 1908, Dan was asked if he would go on a mission. He answered that he could not go just then, but he would gladly go if he could be given a year to make ready. During that year, everything he did seemed to be successful. He left on November 24, 1909, for the Southern States Mission.
      On December 11, 1910, Sena's father died. Sena took her three children and went to Ephraim. She and her family remained there until the next September; at which time they returned to Richfield so LaVee could start school.

      In November 1911, at the age of 27, Sena made her first trip to Salt Lake City to meet Dan, who was returning home from his mission.

      Another boy, Weldon, was born September 10, 1912.

      Sena served for a time as second counselor in the Third Ward Mutual.
      After Dan returned from his mission, three bedrooms and a bathroom were added to their home. Dan also bought more farm land.

      The appearance of the west and north hills surrounding Richfield gave Sena a lonesome feeling at first. However, when she became more accustomed to them, they gave her a feeling of friendliness and security.

      Two more sons and a daughter were born to Sena and Dan: Murry C. on July 15, 1914; Philip on April 13, 1917; and Anna Marie on June 23, 1921, making a total of five boys and two girls. On March 16, 1917, just before Phil was born, Sena's mother died, and Sena was unable even to attend her funeral.

      Nearly all of the children were seriously ill at some time or another as they grew up, and were not expected to live. Sena and Dan felt that the blessings of the Lord were surely with them, and they felt that they were very fortunate to have all of their children live to adulthood and enjoy good health.

      Sena served as assistant secretary in the Relief Society for about nine years. She made several trips to California, one of which was an extended trip up the West Coast to Portland, Oregon. She hated San Francisco because she felt it was too large a city. She was ready to call the trip off in San Francisco when she was faced with either staying there or being ferried across the bay. She decided she would rather take a chance on the water than the city, so the trip continued northward. The coast highway and the huge redwood trees were beautiful. Sena said the road wound round and round all day, and it would take her all night to unwind. Then the next day would be a repeat of the same performance.

      Sena's hobby was raising house plants. The beautiful house plants and ferns at their home added much to the beauty of it.

      Sena and Dan spent many, many good times with their friends-the Charl Ogden's, George Sorenson's, Chris Peterson's, N.J. Bates', Orson Christensen's, Chris Christensen's, and the George Peterson's. The extended Peterson family enjoyed many happy gatherings and dinners together as well.
      Sena and Dan celebrated their Golden Wedding anniversary in February, 1954. A big family dinner and program were held on Saturday afternoon at the Youth Center in Richfield. An open house was held Sunday afternoon at the family home where many friends and relatives greeted the couple.

      A special call to the Manti Temple to serve as ordinance workers was accepted in September of 1953. They served in that capacity until February of 1958, at which time they were honorably released. No other single thing brought more joy and satisfaction into their lives. How they loved their temple friends, and they cherished the many wonderful experiences they had there. It was truly a highlight of their lives. Their temple call brought with it another special friendship which added to their happiness--that of Gladys and Ernest Nielson who were temple workers also. They journeyed to Manti together with Ernest acting as chauffeur.

      Dan passed away on May 1, 1958, after a brief illness. He was missed by his family so very much.

      After a short courtship Sena married Charles Ogden, an old friend and neighbor, in the St. George Temple on January 3, 1959. Several months later Sena moved from her home on Fourth North to Charl's home on First West in Richfield. This was a move that really surprised the family. However, Sena was very satisfied in her new home and she and “Uncle Charl” found a deep, satisfying love and contentment with one another. They were truly blessed with health and happiness during their years together.

      Sena and Charl had ten happy years together before he passed away and she was left a widow again. She adjusted well to life alone. She was blessed with good health and a sound mind. She kept house and took care of herself for another ten years.

      In July of 1977 she fell and broke her hip. From this time, her condition, both physical and mental, rapidly deteriorated. She was operated on successfully to repair the injury, but the shock was more than she could handle. She passed away on October 19, 1977, the day after her 93rd birthday and was buried in the Richfield cemetery October 21, 1977. Her grandchildren provided the funeral program and all of them but three were present for the services.
      Sena was a wonderful mother, loved and respected by her family.

      History written by Anna Peterson Wells, a daughter.
      History typed by Mary Kay Peterson Scholl, a granddaughter

      Personal Recollections of Father by
      Ferdie Peterson, a Son

      The big event of my childhood days was our corral fire. There was a breeze on that Halloween night (1911), and the candle in the pumpkin kept going out. After Mother warned us that she had lit the candle for the last time, we decided to build a fire outside so we could light the candle ourselves, but what were we to use for fuel? Adrian suggested that “straw will burn,” so we started a little fire on the edge of the straw stack out in the corral. After we were called in to go to bed, we carried a bucket of water out to the fire and thoroughly soaked it with water. Apparently, we missed some of it and a breeze during the night fanned it into flames again. The chickens were all killed when the coop was destroyed, but the cow and I believe the old sow escaped by walking through the flames. The coop, shed, and fences were quickly rebuilt by friends and neighbors, who also replaced the hay, chickens, and other animals destroyed by the fire.

      Mother tried hard to keep a peaceful, happy home. Dad would always call us boys to get up and help with the chores before he left the house. If we didn't get up right away, she would come in and call again and again. She knew that father would be angry if he had to return to the house to get us. I marvel at her patience, tenderness, and sympathy when we were ill. I'm certain she suffered more than we did at such times. She would cool our fevered heads with cold packs and hold our heads to ease the discomfort when we had to vomit. She always seemed to know where every article of clothing was for all nine of us, and would layout the clean things for us to wear when we bathed.
      I was the first child to be born in Richfield. Our brick home, located at Fourth North and Fifth East, had been purchased by Father without Mother even seeing it. It consisted of a bedroom, kitchen, pantry, and closet. The kitchen had a reservoir for water on one end of the stove which kept the water a little above room temperature. We always kept a teakettle of water on the stove which was usually near boiling. There was a hydrant near the back door at the northwest comer of the house where we obtained all the water for home use. We bathed only once a week, usually on Saturday in the kitchen. Additional pots and pans were filled with water and heated for bathing. Mother would bathe first because she was considered the cleanest, then us kids and Dad last. Additional water was added after each bath so it would be comfortable. There was a cot in the kitchen with wings on each side on which we children slept. Our house was remodeled about two years after Dad returned from his mission. Three bedrooms, a bath, and a screened-in porch were added. The former bedroom became the living room. Clothes closets were also added so the old pantry and closet became part of the kitchen. A coil was placed in the kitchen to heat water for bathing, cleaning, and washing dishes. We also got electric lights and a telephone at this time-the only one in the neighborhood. Children who lived close by came and tried out our new bath tub. Four of us little boys could bathe together.

      As long as there was just three of us kids, Mother would often read to us in the evening. Later she became too busy to read. We had a washer with an agitator which was operated by hand. On wash day, Dad would help with the washing before going to the farm. We always had a hired girl to help with the housework for a few months after a baby was born. Later, even though La Vee was the oldest child, Dad would leave one of the boys home to help with the house work. Mother did a lot of worrying. Dad often had to irrigate at night and if he didn't get home about the time Mother thought he should, she would worry-sometimes to the extent that she would become ill.

      Mother was a homemaker and didn't care to be in the public eye. When she worked in the MIA she was always very frightened when she had to take charge. She seldom attended Sunday School when we were growing up. Sunday was a big work day for her. She would shine all the shoes. We would always have a big breakfast, except on Fast Sunday, and then she would have to rush to have dinner ready by the time we came home. Sacrament Meeting was at 2:00 in the afternoon Very few children attended except nursing babies, and they were often nursed right in the meeting. All of Mother's children were born at home. Dr. Neil was our doctor. I don't think he was a very skilled doctor but he was able to talk Mother out of most of her problems. She was a very economical shopper. Sometimes she walked the length of Main Street to save a few pennies.

      She loved all of her children very much and was proud of their accomplishments. She also loved and kept track of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren as they came along. She had over one hundred descendants before her death. I think her interest in life and people helped keep her young right up to the time of her passing.

      This history and personal accounts have been compiled by Philip Peterson, a son. The typing was done by Mary Kay Peterson Scholl, a granddaughter.

      My Mother
      by Philip Peterson, a Son

      From my infancy and throughout my life, there were some things upon which I could depend. Probably the most important of these was the love and concern Mother had for me and my brothers and sisters. She was always there when we needed love, sympathy, or moral support. She was always kind and patient; I don't remember her ever being angry with us but disappointed at times, I'm sure. When we needed to be disciplined, Dad did it. Among my earliest memories is of her reading bedtime stories to us. Usually these were stories from the Bible and Book of Mormon. At an early age, we became acquainted with some of the great characters found in the scriptures. I remember a story carried in the newspaper about Peter Rabbit, and I thought it was great. Before going to bed at night, it was at Mother's knee we knelt and she would help us say our prayers. For me this was the beginning of a practice that has sustained me throughout my life.

      As we grew older and left home, her letters could be depended on. When I was on my mission to New Zealand, on mail day there was always a letter from Mother. Her letters continued to come when I went to Los Angeles to work and during my three years in the Army.

      This history and personal accounts have been compiled by Philip Peterson, a son. The typing was done by Mary Kay Peterson Scholl, a granddaughter.

      Home and Family
      by Anna Marie Peterson Wells, a Daughter

      When I think of home I think of love and security. Dad was a man who lived as he believed and we, as children, knew what he believed. He was a deeply religious man—always serving in a church position. He was patriotic—actively involved in elections and other community affairs. In his vocation as a farmer and stock-grower he was a hard worker and good manager. He was always so proud of Mother and always wanted her to have the best in clothes as well as things for the home. Many times, I've seen Dad look at Mom with admiration and say, "Isn't she a beauty?" And she was. Mother always took pride in the way she looked. She always lamented the fact that she only completed the 8th grade in school, but she had so many other wonderful qualities that made up for it. She was an excellent wife, mother, and homemaker; loving, kind, patient, and understanding. In our home, I think her motto must have been, “Peace at any price.” She just couldn’t stand contention in the home. Dad was very set in his ways and opinions, and I’m sure many times Mother thought the children were right in the disagreement, but she never took sides or spoke out against Dad. In fact, I had gone away to college before I ever heard Mother speak up to Dad on anything.

      There was no question in our home as to who was boss. We all did what Dad said without argument. Mother was the dependent type, leaning heavily on Dad for everything. They took great joy in each other and in always being together. They had many friends and also enjoyed close relationships with the relatives. They were great hands to look up out-of-town relatives wherever we might be, and also to attend all funerals.

      Since I am number seven of seven children, and a girl after five boys (the oldest in the family also being a girl), my memories are very different from the older children. Dad tried to discipline me. I remember one time in particular when he put me in the dirty clothes box in the hall and I screamed bloody murder. This upset Mother too, so he gave up in despair and left my rearing to Mother mostly. Her recipe was love, kindness, faith, and trust; and all turned out well.

      I do not remember when La Vee, Adrian, and Ferdie lived at home. I do remember how exciting it was to receive a package from California from big sister La Vee for birthdays, Christmas, and many special holidays. She was so good to always remember, and there were always those sweet letters. Memories of Ad and Ferdie going on missions at the same time is vivid in my memory. That was quite a thing in those days to have two sons into the mission field at the same time. Adrian was in Hawaii and Ferd in Germany. While they were gone in the early 1930’s, the Bank of Sevier where Dad had his account went broke, and I remember how upset Mother was when I came home for lunch that day from school. She was wringing her hands and crying. She just knew those missionaries would have to come home because of the money situation. Shortly after that, Grandpa Peterson met one of the general authorities downtown one day, and in the course of conversation Grandpa mentioned how worried Mother was. This Elder said, “Tell that little mother not to worry, a way will be provided, and neither missionary will return home because of finances.” This was a testimony to our family. Just prior to the bank's closing, Dad had a feeling he should draw $100 out of the bank for each boy and send it to him. This he did, and that lasted them about two months. Dad said after that he never knew from one month to the next how he could get the money needed for the missionaries, but there was always a way provided. Both boys filled honorable missions, and I well remember their homecoming. Shortly after returning, Adrian married; Ferdie went back to school at the University of Utah.

      We took a trip that summer—Mom and Dad, Ferdie, Weldon, Murry, and I. We went to Los Angeles to see La Vee and her family, then on up the coast to San Francisco, ferried across the bay where the Golden Gate Bridge is now. Mom hated San Francisco--too large a city for her. The boys got to take the car that night and go to Chinatown, and they wouldn't let me go. Imagine them not wanting to take their little sister with them to see Chinatown! When we left San Francisco, we traveled up the coast highway through the redwoods and we thought they were gorgeous! The road was so twisty and turny—Mother said she got screwed up like a cork-screw during the day and it would take the night to unwind. Then we would start in the next day doing the same thing. We traveled as far north as Portland, headed inland along the Columbia River Highway, then down through Idaho and home. We had such a good time. This was the first trip I ever remember being on that I didn't get car sick.

      I must back up in my story. Guess I was raised in the lap of luxury—I never remember when we didn't have electric lights, running water in the house, a bathroom, telephone, car, etc. I can remember when we remodeled our home—quite an exciting time. Although Dad was a farmer, our home was in Richfield, three or four miles from the farm. My memories are of the boys’ room with two double beds—barely room to get in between to make them. The boys’ bedroom had five boys, two beds, and one small closet with guns in one comer that Mother and I left strictly ALONE. Dad was the first out of bed in the morning; he would make the fire (in the coal stove) and call the boys. There were always cows to be milked and chores to be done. The boys always got up to help when Dad called them. Morning prayer was held by either kneeling by our chairs at the breakfast table or around a chair in the bathroom We were taught to eat what was placed before us or go without. I remember still how much I disliked cooked cereal in the morning. Meat, potatoes and gravy and desserts were big at our house. Mother and. I made a big lunch to send to the farm with the men-folk. Mother never knew when to expect Dad home so she could plan supper, but it was supposed to be ready anyway. I used to stand at the big east window and watch for our truck to appear on the highway. Then Mom would say, “Hurry and set the table and they will think supper is ready.” It worked too!

      Dad always had a nice garden by the house. We had a vegetable cellar as well as a cement cellar where we kept bottled fruit, a year's supply of flour, meat, etc. It was quite an event in the winter when Dad would get someone to come help him kill a pig. They took care of every bit of the animal—cut it all up, cured their own hams (we didn't have baked hams in those days—just boiled due to the salt). My parents would grind and season their own sausage (makes my mouth water to think of it) and stuff it into a casing made from the intestine. The sausage was on a plate all curled up like a rope. Then there was Mother's savory ducks made from liver. I get hungry for them yet. My parents always shared with the neighbors when we killed an animal—everyone got some, and the same with the garden. Dad usually had a few sheep around and he frequently killed one to eat. We always had a cat for a pet, but Dad wouldn't let us have a dog because of the sheep. We had calves, and it was such fun to teach them to drink milk by putting your hand in their mouth so they would suck, then down in the milk bucket. I remember the neighbor kids always followed Weldon around when he was doing chores and hoped they could get in on feeding the calves or gathering eggs from the chicken coop. Frequently in the winter Dad would bring baby pigs or lambs into the house in a tub and put them by the stove to keep them warm. These were usually orphan animals. The lambs were bottle fed and that was fun!

      The corral was fairly close to the house, and Dad always had a few milk cows, a team of horses, a riding horse, and a haystack. It was fun in the summer to watch the men-folk unload hay with the derrick and make the stack. It would have been such fun to play on and around the haystack, but that was a no-no at our house. When Dad said, “No,” that settled it! Occasionally I played in the big bins of wheat in the granary, and that was great fun! We had a milk separator on the back porch. They would feed the separated milk to the calves, sell what cream they could, and churn the rest into butter. Dad would usually do the churning; then Mom would take over. This milk separator was a real pain in the neck to wash and keep clean. I hated to wash the separator, especially the discs. It was enough to make a person dislike milk! About chore time and cooking supper time, the back door would be black with flies about a third of the way down. Mom had an old rag laying by the back door—you would twirl that around two or three times to remove the flies; then rush in the door as fast as you could. Flies were a real problem in those days.

      I remember the excitement in the summer when there would be a flash flood. There would always be onlookers about three blocks north of us where there was a big flood ditch and we would hear the rumble and see the flood water come out of the hills. This created excitement at the farm too because our farm was right below the canal. Once Dad and the boys were running to get away from a flood when Murry ran into a barbed wire fence, cutting quite a gash in his forehead. Another time on a Sunday we rode out to the lane that led to our farm, and the flood water was coming out of there like a river and crossing the main highway. The upper part of our farm was flooded so frequently that for years Dad didn't attempt to grow anything there. When he and the boys weren't busy elsewhere, there was always flood wood and rocks to pick up off that bit of farm. There was a regular flood ditch that went through another section of the upper farm.

      Summer meant lots of hard work for the men-folk, but it was also a fun time. For Easter, we usually went on an outing to the clay hills above Sigurd with friends. Later there would usually be a fishing trip to Fish Lake that we always looked forward to. The folks would rent a cabin and a rowboat. Dad and the boys usually tried their luck at fishing. The older boys would get a boat full of kids and row across the lake just for fun. I remember one time when they did this and we got caught in a rain storm. It simply poured, and we thought the folks would be worried stiff. When we managed to get back all soaked and cold, we found the cabin locked and the folks gone. They boys got a window open and we crawled in. Skougaaard's tavern was fairly new in those days and a big attraction.

      We had a nice wood pile in our yard, and Dad always saw to it there was wood cut for the stove. We also had coal to burn. It was my job each evening to gather the chips and bring in the wood and sometimes coal. Dad usually carried the buckets of coal because they were heavy. In the cold of winter, it was nice to get warm by opening the oven of the kitchen stove and sit with feet on the oven door. There is something mighty warm and comforting about a wood and coal fire.

      It was not uncommon to have a beggar or Indian come to the door and ask for something to eat. In fact, we had so many come we decided they had our house marked in some way. We were an easy touch. If they offered to do something for the food, they were asked to chop wood. We were pleased to give them something to eat when they offered to work. Dad never turned anyone away—even if it was money they asked for. He always took a man for his word and was rarely disappointed.

      Grandma and Grandpa Peterson lived on Center Street in Richfield, and Mother and Dad were very considerate of them. We usually spent Sunday afternoon at their house visiting. It was fun to play with the cousins on the big front porch and on the front lawn. Besides that, Grandma always had good things to eat! Grandma and Grandpa were nearly always at our house for holidays and special occasions. They were an important part of our family and we all loved them dearly.

      By July Fourth we usually had fried chicken (of our own raising), new peas out of the garden, maybe new potatoes, and homemade ice cream. What a feast!! And I would turn my back on this to walk to town with my friends to have a hamburger. We always had a parade in Richfield for the Fourth and that was exciting. Friends slept out together on the night of the Third, but sometimes Dad wouldn't let me. He thought we should be at home, but when I couldn't be with the others I felt badly. We had firecrackers that we put under a can to see how high in the air the can would fly, and “nigger chasers” that my brothers would make with a straw and black powder. At night, we watched the city fireworks up on the hills by the swimming pool.

      One of the big things in Richfield in the summer was the natatorium (swimming pool) which was a cold-water pool and free to everyone. It was such fun to go swimming, even if you had to walk all the way up there and back, and it was a long way from our house. Mother encouraged the boys to go to the swimming pool in the evening when they returned from the farm, but they weren't very cooperative.

      Mom was famous among friends and relatives for her root beer. As new people were introduced to the family they didn't care much for our root beer, but it kind of grew on you. Sometimes the drink would get pretty wild since hops and browned barley water were among the ingredients. It took some quick acting to pop off the cap and catch the root beer before the wall or ceiling got it!
      Winters in Richfield were cold, but we didn't get much snow. I remember frozen pipes on the back porch and the boys' bedroom. To unthaw pipes was quite a job. I even remember them taking up a portion of the floor in the bedroom to get at the pipes. That boys’ bedroom had a northwest exposure, and it was so cold in winter the windows would freeze over and stay that way for weeks at a time. Phil insisted on so much bedding on the bed to keep warm, the other boys teased him and said he was tired out in the morning just from holding all that bedding up. Regardless of the weather, we always walked to school and it was a long way. CharI Ogden lived on a farm and ran a dairy out our way. His kids were usually on the late side getting off to school due to all the chores, so he took them to school at the last minute in the dairy truck (a panel truck). As they came up the main highway they picked up every kid in sight. One day we counted sixteen kids getting out of the truck.

      It used to be that you were trusted because of your name and reputation. In Richfield Dad had such a good name that we were trusted with anything and everything. All we had to say was that our Dad was Dan Peterson, and it seemed the world was ours. Dad was on the sugar beet board and canal board which required trips to Salt Lake to meetings every once in a while. He rarely went without Mother, and she would rarely go without me (she didn't think the boys would treat me right while they were away), so I remember those trips. They were such fun because we would stay in a hotel and eat meals in a restaurant.

      My parents enjoyed many good times with a choice group of Richfield people: Uncle Henry and Aunt Ruby Peterson, George and Lorena Sorenson, CharI and Dora Ogden, Lester and Georgia Ogden, Chris and May Peterson, Nephi and Flora Bates, Carl and Nora Mattson, Chris and Mary Christensen, the Orson Christensen's, George and Eva Peterson, and Joe and Annie Hansen.
      Mother never killed a chicken, but she was as fast a chicken plucker as could be found. I was always interested in watching her and wanted to get into the act. She couldn't be bothered with someone as pokey as I, so the only thing I got to do was clean the gizzard.

      I must say a word about my sister and brothers. La Vee was very sweet and thoughtful. She was a very outgoing person who fit in with anyone. Her husband Lionel was art director for Columbia Studio in Hollywood for years. They had a lovely home in Los Angeles, California, in Mandeville Canyon. She was very friendly and hospitable to the many Utah people who called on her in California.

      Shortly after Adrian returned from his mission to Hawaii he married Melba, and they built a little home just half a block from our house. This was such fun to me to have a sister close by. And what an event when their first baby, Gordon, was born!

      Flirty Ferdie frequently came home weekends and would often bring a girlfriend with him. That meant that I got a bed-partner for a couple of nights. I really wasn't too keen on that idea. Ferd was always the happy-go-lucky, friendly type of fellow; very outgoing, thoughtful, and considerate. Mother always thought he needed a wife to keep track of his clothes and things, and she had about given up when he finally found the one and only, Dona!

      Weldon was my bashful, easy-going brother. He would zip out of church, not talk to a soul, and walk the five blocks home faster than we could get there in the car! Mother couldn't understand how Weldon could read a magazine and listen to the radio at the same time. He was Mother's hired girl. When house-cleaning time rolled around, she would rather have Weldon help than anyone else she could think of. He drove Dad crazy with his untied shoe laces dragging in the manure in the corral, and his unbuttoned jacket in cold weather. He had untold patience with me; when I was so sick at age five he was there to try to entertain me by teaching me all the games he knew—card games and all. He let me feed the calves, gather eggs and put them away; he taught me how to make candy and how to drive the car. You could join Weldon in anything he happened to be doing. He always had goodies around and that was a big attraction. I also remember when Weldon was so sick in the hospital with appendicitis. We didn't know from one day to the next if he would make it. Mother told of one night when she felt sure he was gone and Dad called him back to life.

      Murry was a bit of a non-conformist, which brings back many memories. Sometimes when he asked to take the car, the folks would say, “Now if you can get Weldon to get a date and go along, you can take the car.” Those two boys were as different as night and day. When Murry married at the age of 22, Mother thought he was a mere child. Murry was the one who often stayed home and cranked the ice cream freezer while we were at church!
      Now there was Phil. When he left on his mission to New Zealand, I said I was happy to have him leave, and Mother was ashamed of me. He was one big tease. We lived so far from downtown Richfield that I couldn't walk alone at night to a show. Dad used to say to Phil, “Take her along and treat her like your best girl.” Boy, he let me follow along behind him and Clair (his best boy friend) like a little puppy dog. Once Dad bought Phil a goat with a harness and wagon. What an outfit! We had lots of interesting experiences with that goat. I especially remember how it managed to get through the chicken run opening (about 10" x 12") and into my parents' bedroom through a broken screen door. How frightened I was when I came out of my bedroom and there stood the goat chewing a scarf off the table!

      All of us children were given the opportunity of going to college if we wanted. We all gave it a try, but Ferd was the only one to graduate. As we married and established homes of our own, my parents helped us with the financial end of things. They were very generous and were eager to see each of their children with a nice home of their own. When we went home the folks were so happy to see us and always made a fuss over the children. When we left for home we were laden with meat and vegetables. I'm sure the older grandchildren remember the silver dollars Grandpa used to pass out to them. It was fun when the folks came to Salt Lake. Dad would insist on taking us all to the rodeo, circus, ice show, or whatever. He paid everyone's way—a very independent and generous person. However, when they were up for a visit, we had to keep Dad entertained every minute or he would say, “Well, Mother, don't you think we better be going home?” And he meant it too!

      This history and personal accounts have been compiled by Philip Peterson, a son. The typing was done by Mary Kay Peterson Scholl, a granddaughter.

      Children of Daniel and Sena Peterson

      LaVee was born May 2, 1905, in Glenwood, Utah. Her education was in the Richfield schools. She was an excellent student and was the valedictorian for her high school class. Later she attended Utah State Agricultural College in Logan, Utah. She worked as a private secretary prior to her marriage to Lionel Cornelius Banks on February 10, 1929, in Richfield, Utah. He was a professional architect and was employed as an art director by Columbia Pictures in Hollywood, California. Their children were: Lionel Cornelius, Robin Victor, and William Sanford. LaVee was beautiful and charming, kind and gracious, and had many friends. Lionel died on March 20, 1950. LaVee died August 29, 1960, in Laguna Beach, California

      Adrian was born November 28, 1906, in Glenwood, Utah. He was educated in the Richfield schools and also attended Snow College and Utah State Agriculture College. He was on the football team in high school and also at Snow College. He served a mission to Hawaii, was Elders Quorum President, and was active in the LDS Church throughout his life. He was a self-employed farmer as well as a skilled welder and mechanic. He married Melba Gledhill on February 3, 1933, in the St. George Temple. Melba was a gracious, kind person. She was a talented singer and frequently sang in church and community events. Their children were: Gordon Adrian, Jane, Wayne Douglas, Ralph Blaine and Ivo Ray. She died on October 3, 1961. Adrian married Clara Zoe Poole on February 5, 1965. She died on October 18, 1997. Adrian died in Richfield, Utah on June 29, 1986.

      Ferdie Devol was born October 18, 1908, in Richfield, Utah. He attended the Richfield schools and later graduated from the University of Utah. He was a geologist and worked for the U.S. Bureau of Mines and the Bureau of Land Management. He filled a mission to Germany, served as a bishop and was an active church member all his life. He made friends readily and was a kind, thoughtful person. He married Donna Salisbury on June 17, 1938, in the Salt Lake Temple. Donna was a graduate of BYU and worked as a schoolteacher prior to their marriage. She had a sparkling personality and was gifted in the dramatic arts. Their children were Patricia and Paul. Donna died on September 5, 1993. Ferdie died in Denver, Colorado on December 26, 1995.

      Weldon was born September 10, 1912, in Richfield, Utah. He attended the Richfield schools, Snow College, and the University of Utah. He had a quiet, unassuming personality. He loved children and was skilled at keeping them entertained and happy. He was a successful, self-employed farmer. He served as bishop, temple ordinance worker, and was a faithful, loyal Church member all of his life. He married Lela V. Hunt (Vee) in the Salt Lake Temple on December 2, 1935. Vee was an expert seamstress and a devoted wife and mother. She was a dedicated worker in genealogy and most of the research work in the Peterson Family can be credited to her. Their children were: Lawrence Peter, Wendy Elizabeth, James Weldon, Suzanne, Margaret V., John Daniel, Mark Hunt, and David Alvin. Vee died on January 14, 2004. Weldon died on October 3, 2000.
      Murry C was born July 15, 1914, in Richfield, Utah. He attended the Richfield schools and Snow College. He was well liked by his associates and had many loyal friends. He loved to fish, and in his later life, he became an avid golfer. He was a successful, self-employed farmer and livestock man. In his later years, he became an active, devoted Church member and attended the temple frequently. He married Della King in Richfield, Utah on August 31, 1936. Their marriage was later sealed in the Manti Temple. Della was a skilled homemaker and a devoted mother. Their children were: Jerald, Roger Dan, Gaylen King, Randall K., Lorraine, and Brad Lee. Della died on March 7, 1997. Murry died in Richfield, Utah on July 5, 1990.

      Philip was born April 13, 1917, in Richfield, Utah. He attended the Richfield schools, LDS Business College, BYU, and Oklahoma A&M. He served for three years in the U.S. Army Air Corps as a radio operator during World War II. He was twice elected to the Richfield City Council. He was a successful self-employed farmer. In 1967, he was appointed Postmaster of Richfield. While a young man, he filled a mission to New Zealand. After retirement, he and Margaret served in the Ohio Columbus Mission, the Ohio Akron Mission and the Thailand Bangkok Mission. He served as a bishop and was the first Patriarch in the Richfield Utah East Stake. He married Margaret Clark Sorensen in the Manti Temple on July 14, 1942. Margaret was a graduate of BYU and was a gifted school teacher. She had a friendly, enthusiastic personality and made many friends. Their children were: Beverly Ann, Janet, Susan, Mary Kay, Marilyn, and Connie. Margaret died on January 11, 2010. Phil died on January 19, 2004
      Anna Marie was born June 23, 1921, in Richfield, Utah. Her education was in the Richfield schools and two years at BYU. She worked as an accountant for the Federal Government. As a child, she was on the shy side but she had good friends. She enjoyed family events and card games with her friends. She served in a variety of Church callings as a teacher and secretary. She became a worker in the Jordan River Temple and said that this was her favorite calling. She married Larry Marcellan Wells in Richfield, Utah, on March 5, 1945. Their marriage was later sealed in the Manti Temple. Larry was born in Colorado and as a boy, he participated in football and baseball. He served three years in the U.S. Army Air Force in the China-Burma-India theatre during World War II. After the war, he became a skilled plumber and sheet metal worker. He had a keen mind and the ability to do many things. Their children were: Merrilee, Clifford Larry, Sally Ann, Dan Russell and Barbara. Larry died on January 9, 1984. Anna died on September 7, 2012