BAGLEY, Orlando - I32263
Bagley is from the Saxon, meaning a rising or swelling ground that lies untilled; for boelge, a rising or swelling, and Leagh or ley, plain or pasture ground.
The original spelling appears to have been Baggiley, but it has been, and is spelled in a variety of ways including Bagley, Bagly, Baggulley, and Bagley.
It appears to have been adopted in England by a man named Macy or Marcei, who ws seated at Baggiley in the time of William the Conqueror. William made numerous trips to England, accompanied by small parties of kinsmen and others. There is an account of one of these trips, when he was accompanied by two nephews and eight lesser kinsmen, among the latter, Hama de Macei. Macie is a well-known placed name in Normandy near Avranch.
From Plea Rolls, it appears that John, Lord of Baggiley, in 1170 had sons: Hamon, Howkin, William, Peter, and John. It is not clear if Hamon Massey or John was the first ancestor owners of the manor of Baggiley from whence the name comes. King in his History of England, dated 1650, states that Baggiley was located in Bulkeley Hundred in the Kingdom of March, known as the Vale Royal in England, which reaches from London to the river Mersey which divided Cheshire from Lancashire. When Thomas Baley of Virginia died in 1672, he mentions his brothers who lived at Macclesfield, Cheshire, England.
About the reign of King John (1213-1216), Hamon of the house of Baggiley was Baron of Dunham-Massey, and during the time "Hamon Massey, and descended from the other Hamon, before named gave unto Matthew de Bromhal, Duckenfield and two other parts of Baggiley which the father of the said Matthew held of said Hamon, as his inheritance in knight's service to him and his heirs." This Hamon was involved in the rising of the Northern Barons against King John.
In the 15th century, the Baggileys of Cheshire had much interest in Lancashire, the next county, moved over there and changed the name to Baguley. We are seeing from Cheshire through several counties going west, the name Baguley or nearly so is prevalent. But going south the name Bagley is present even in London and other counties; for instance, Ipswich from where the Bagleys first came to America, who were shipwright sea captains. Thomas Baggaley of Salt Lake City who had done research on the Bagley's in England here cites the Bagleys who settled in Boston.
Some books say there is one coat of arms for the Bagley family and that it is the same regardless of how the name is spelled or the family's immediate origins. This statement does not seem to be correct for Orlando Bagley. In Worcester Massachusetts Genealogical Society, there is a book containing the coats of arms of early Massachusetts families including one for Orlando Bagley, and it is not the one commonly accepted for the Bagleys.
The name 'Bagly' is not of Scottish origin. The name appears to be of English origin from Cheshire, brought to the area by a Normon - French landowner in the Eleventh Century. However, many people from North England migrated to Scotland and to Ireland and there are Bagleys in both of these countries. It appears that when the Normans came in William the Conqueror's time (1066-1087) the area known as Baggiley in Cheshire was held by Hamon Massy, Baron of Durham Massy, who was given it as a reward for his Knights service. It was to be handed down to his heirs and successors.
It is certain that this town gave the name to the family Biggiley (Baguley.) There were certain biggileys known to be resident as early as the reign of Henry III, (1216-1272). Baguley is about twelve miles from Manchester.
The International Genealogical Index indicates births as early as 1170 in the area. If that is true then, the original name is therefore Massy. As to whether Hamon Massy, Baron of Durham was a direct ancestor of Sir William de Baggiley (aka: de Baguley) still has to be established.
Sir William de Baggiley (aka: de Baguley), born around 1260 was knighted by King Edward I, and later married one of the King's daughters. Her name was Lucy Corona. She was born out of wedlock. This was quite common in those days for the king to have children form someone other than the Queen. Lucy's mother (a lady in waiting) worked in the King's court. Sir William and Lucy had five children. The children married into well-to-do families. During this time the Baguley family was quite well up in the aristocracy of England. They owned the salt mines in Cheshire and a mill for processing. This is where they made their money.
In the reign of Edward II, Sir William de Baguley was made Lord of Baguley. Sir William built Baguley Hall around 1320 and was Lord of the Manor until his death. At the time of his death, he also owned a manor at Hyde and another at Levenshulme in Lancashire, plus an inn called The Ryle Thorn in Baguley. His son, John Biggiley, born around 1290 and died around 1356, as well as his daughter, Isabel, succeeded him as joint heirs of his property. Isabel married Sir John Leigh of Booths, a widower. Their eldest son William inherited Baguley. The manor remained in the Leigh family until the late seventeenth century, when the line terminated in Edward Leigh. He had married Elinour Tatton of Wythenshawe Hall and although they had three daughters, there was no son to succeed him.
An effigy of Sir William is housed in Sr. Mary's Church, Bowden Parish, Cheshire. Not far from the old Baguley Hall. Originally there was a Baguley coat of arms with an orange background, however, it is understood that this coat of arms was demolished when the property of John Baguley was made over to Sir John Leigh of Booths near Knutsford around 1353.
The third manor, that of Baguley, which formed part of the parish of Bowdon, came into the hands of the Baguley family from the Masseys certainly by the early thirteen century. They took their name from the place. They retained it till the year 1355 when John, the son of Sir William de Baguley, granted his manors there and at Hyde and Levenshulme to John Legh of Booths near Knutsford, who married Isabel, daughter of Sir William and sister of John. The Baguley's became a family of importance in the late twelfth and early centuries, being witnesses of many important charters, e.g. in Northendon and Stockport. A charter of 1316 confirms the ownership by William de Baguley of land in Wythenshawe lying in Middle Eye near the land of William Mascy (probably near the Mersey-eye, meaning an island or land liable to flooding.) As we have seen in 1318, Nicholas de Eton, Lord of Stockport, granted Ruyul (perhaps near Ryle Thorn or Royal Thorn) and Alveley Hay (now Haveley Hey) to Sir William de Baguley and his heirs. The Baggeleghs were among the wealthy lay families owning the Cheshire salt mines. A Thomas de Baguley fought for King Edward at the battle of Pointiers and later from Knutsford pleaded for more recognition of his services. It is probable that Sir William built the great Baguley Hall, the most important building in our area, at the period of the greatest eminence of the family in the early fourteenth century in the style of the times. (Smithhills Hall at Bolton is a close parallel) Using timber, so tradition says, from Lyme Park, with the owners of which, the Leghs, he was connected by marriage. This hall is the earliest and most massive of the three medieval manor houses in the area. Ormerod gives a list of the members of the Legh family who held the manor until the seventeenth century. It finally passed into the hands of the Tattons in 1825 when all three manors for the first time came into common ownership.
Born 1624; living in 1662 but supposedly died thereafter, married Sarah Colby, March 6, 1653, Daughter of Anthony Colby and Susanna Huddon. Sarah died May 18, 1663 in Boston after childbirth.
Orlando came from England and was living in Boston from 1658-1663 and was subsequently of Salisbury (name on paper dated March 19, 1654 on list of inhabitants and commoners here in the new town).
Orlando became a man of standing through marrying Sarah Colby. Sarah's father Anthony was the first Colby to go to New England. He (Anthony) was the son of Thomas and Beatrice (Felton) Colby of Playford, England and was of Roos Hall, Beccles, County of Suffolk, and hence through the female line, a descendent of six signers of the Magna Carta. Anthony came to Massachusetts, probably in the company of Governor Winthrop, since he was called the "Planter" and was of Boston, thence Cambridge, where be built he first house and then was one of the founders of Amesbury, Mass.
Orlando Bagley (Orlando)
Orlando married Sarah Sargent, December 22, 1681, Daughter of William and Elizabeth Sargent. William was one of the first settlers of Ipswich, Mass. Sarah died October 3, 1701/2.
Later, Orlando married Sarah Annis, March 25, 1703/4, daughter of Charles Annis and Sarah (Chase), who came from Enneshelen, Ireland. Sarah died 1729.
Orlando was a yeoman, and enlisted in Lt. Caleb Moody's company in 1708, signed the oath of alliance December 20, 1677, signed training band petition in 1680, freeman in 1729. He was a constable in Amesbury, Massachusetts and occupied the 3rd pew in the meeting house where only "important men could sit".
May 2, 1696 – Orlando brought Susan Martin of Amesbury to Salem where she was tried and executed for witchcraft.
Orlando Bagley (Orlando 2, Orlando 1)
Born December 14, 1682; died May 3, 1756. He married Dorothy Harvey, February 13, 1705/6, daughter of John Harvey and Sarah. He died January 2, 1757.
On October 13, 1712, Orlando was chosen the town clerk of Amesbury, Massachusetts. He held the office for 42 years until 1754 and was granted the right to keep a public school. Gave land for a school in 1716.
Orlando possessed fine business talents and grew in popularity. He served as town selectman, held courts, and officiated as a trail judge on many occasions. Orlando presided over 100 marriages, which was more than the town minister.
He participated in creating the tunnel, The Ridge, in Amesbury in 1753. That same year he helped in the effort of recovering the Amesbury Ferry and he was chosen to research records in order to ascertain the condition of the claim in regard to it.
Elected to discuss brother Thomas Hoyt's neglect of public worship and the Sacraments of the Last Supper and report the reason thereafter.
At his death the inventory of his estate equaled 5,086 pounds.
Henry Bagley (Orlando 3, Orlando 2, Orlando 1)
Born August 25, 1711 ; died August 24, 1776. Married woman named Ann.
Henry received the seventh share of his father's estate equaling 9 acres of land. He lived in Amesbury, Massachusetts, Newton, New Hampshire, and then Candia, New Hampshire.
October 26, 1739 he set off to pay ministers school rate in East Parish of Kingston, New Hampshire. He was annexed to East Parish in 1739 and then moved to Newton, New Hampshire in 1755.
August 12, 1752, Henry was taken into full communion at Second Church, Amesbury, Massachusetts.
April 1, 1766 he sold his land, barn, and pew in meeting house in Newton, New Hampshire to William Bailey. At his death the inventory of his estate equaled 35 pounds, 8 shillings, and 10 pence.
Henry Bagley (Henry 4, Orlando 3, Orlando 2, Orlando 1)
Born April 24, 1720 and died in Hartford, Vermont on February 22, 1796. Henry married Lydia or Abigail Weed on May 11, 1747. He was the illegitimate child of Henry Bagley and Mary Currier (no marriage).
Thomas Jefferson Bagley (Henry 5, Henry 4, Orlando 3, Orlando 2, Orlando 1)
Born February 26, 1761; died June 19, 1838. Thomas married Olive Perkins, January 7, 1782, daughter of Jonathon and Abigail Perkins. Abigail said to be part Native American.
Thomas Jefferson was a Revolutionary War soldier for Weare, New Hampshire under the payroll of Capt. Jonas Kidder's Company, in Col. Moses Nichol's regiment of militia raised by New Hampshire to join the Continental Army at West Point, July 5, 1780. He was discharged October 23, 1780.
Thomas also served in Massachusetts service as a private in Capt. Oliver Titcombs Company, in Col. Jacob Gerrish's regiment guards from February 3, 1778 to April 2, 1778.
He spent 2 months, 2 days service guarding prisoners after the surrender of Burgoyne's Army. Roll dated Winter Hill enlisted Amesbury, Massachusetts, April 1777. He was stationed in Providence, Rhode Island, May 1777.
After being discharged, July 4, 1777, he moved from Weare, New Hampshire to Hartland, Vermont in 1788.