So shall it be with my father: he shall be
called a prince over his posterity, holding
the keys of the patriarchal priesthood over the kingdom of God on earth, even the Church
of the Latter Day Saints, and he shall sit in the general assembly of patriarchs, even in
council with the Ancient of Days when he shall sit and all the patriarchs with him and shall
enjoy his right and authority under the direction of the Ancient of Days.
First Name:  Last Name: 
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]

OSTLER, LeRoy Taylor

Male 1901 - 1967  (65 years)  Submit Photo / DocumentSubmit Photo / Document

 Set As Default Person    

Personal Information    |    Media    |    Notes    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name OSTLER, LeRoy Taylor 
    Birth 4 Jul 1901  Nephi, Juab, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    WAC 16 Jun 1922  SLAKE Find all individuals with events at this location 
    _TAG Reviewed on FS 
    Death 17 May 1967  Nephi, Juab, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Burial 20 May 1967  Nephi, Juab, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Headstones Submit Headstone Photo Submit Headstone Photo 
    Person ID I45785  Joseph Smith Sr and Lucy Mack Smith
    Last Modified 19 Aug 2021 

    Family ID F23967  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family ROTH, Louise Herberdina ,   b. 10 Nov 1902, Rotterdam, Zuid Holland, Netherlands Find all individuals with events at this locationRotterdam, Zuid Holland, Netherlandsd. 10 Jan 1928 (Age 25 years) 
    Marriage 19 Feb 1925  Salt Lake, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Children 1 son and 1 daughter 
    Family ID F20031  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart
    Last Modified 24 Jan 2022 

  • Photos At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.

  • Notes 

    • Nine Grandsons and ten granddaughters. What a wonderful blessing . Nineteen personalities, each very different from the other. But each one is blessed with parents who would do everything in their power to help their children develop into wonderful men and women who want to contribute something good to the world and their fellowmen.
      Each one of you have been born with a wonderful body, to be kept clean from the temptations of the world. We do not have the right to defile these bodies which the Lord has blessed us with. Who would want to “embalm their body with alcohol, or be petrified with nicotine’?
      In addition to keeping our bodies clean, we need to keep our minds and spirits clean as well. One way to do this is to always be able to pray to our Heavenly Father, so he can inspire us with wisdom when we need to make choices. We are really making our own record from day to day. Are we unselfish, are we obedient to our parents and our Heavenly Father? Do we try to understand one another? Do we keep busy doing something useful? Are we patient? Do we really love one another?
      As my grandsons reach the age to hold the Priesthood, always remember what a wonderful privilege you have to be the Lord’s helper here on earth. If you honor the Priesthood, it will help you to live clean lives; give you the strength to say “no” to temptation. It can give you a dignity and pride in what you believe. You can be more tolerant of other’s mistakes. It will help to give you courage to bear your testimonies; to be honest with yourself; to go with the right crowd. As a worthy Priesthood holder, you have something of greater value than does the President of the United States, or any king.
      As my grand-daughters reach this same age they will be soon budding into womanhood. Let each of you always remember your own mothers and try to be as sweet and clean as they are, so that when you have your own children, they can always be proud of you. Do not let fashions and fads turn your hearts from uplifting ideals. Choose good companions with high ideals. Be helpful and not selfish. Learn to appreciate each other’s values. Be a sweet, clean L.D.S. girl with high standards. Wear a smile. One can tell and ideal girl by the way she treats her parents and brothers and sisters.
      Let me say to each of you, whether grandson or grand daughter, that you are a child of God. You have a divine spirit within you. Each of you has made an agreement with the Lord that you will represent him while here on earth. If we are closer to our Heavenly Father today than yesterday, it is because we have put forth sincere effort.
      My earnest blessing and desire for each of you is that when you come before our Heavenly Father, is that you can say “I have builded, did not tear down; I lifted, I did not tear down; I grew, I did not shrink. I helped others grow.”
      With much love to each of you,
      Your Grandfather, LeRoy T. Ostler

      After dressing three little girls, Bessie, Frances and Gwendolyn Ostler in their pretty Fourth of July dresses and letting them attend the big Fourth of July celebration in 1901, Elizabeth Taylor Ostler gave birth to her first son. His father, George Oliver Ostler, was born the 21st of May, 1872 at Nephi, Utah to John Ostler and Mary Ann Prince. Elisabeth Taylor Ostler was born the 14 day of July, 1874 in Salt Lake City, Utah. She was the daughter of Emma Harris Taylor and Thomas Edward Taylor son of John Taylor, the third president of the LDS Church.
      Needless to say, the parents of this baby boy were very happy to have a son. Lizzie T. Ostler, as she was known by most of her friends, had been raised in the city. She had dreamed of her first son as being a replica of Little Lord Fauntleroy. George Ostler had other ideas, that his son was to be his namesake. So a compromise was made and this one was named LeRoy.
      In recollecting his childhood, LeRoy well remembers some of the little suits he wore as he grew beyond babyhood. Little starched white blouses had embroidered collars, and the rest of the suits were in the same category. Many are the times when “Little Lord Fauntleroy” had to change his companions ideas of whether he was a sissy or not, even if he did wear that kind of clothes.
      Father George was just as determined that his boy was not to be brought up as a sissy. Probably this determination was the reason for LeRoy having to take a grown-boy’s share of responsibility at a very early age.
      Very early in life LeRoy was interested in caring for animals, even doctoring them when necessary. This trait has carried through his life. He seems to have a natural knowledge of what is necessary to bring animals back to health; and is called on very often to do just that. When not even six years of age LeRoy found a sheep with a broken leg. He applied splints to it, but it didn’t heal, so he amputated the leg. The sheep recovered, but did limp, but lived for several years longer.
      At about eight years of age LeRoy had to spend considerable time out with the cattle on the range. Rob Chappel was working for the Ostlers at the time. A bunch of wild horses had come near their camping spot out in Sage Valley. Mr. Chappel caught a two year old colt which was running with these wild horses, and gave it to LeRoy. This colt was LeRoy’s pride and joy. But he had some narrow escapes from death while he had it. At one time (he was too small to reach to put his foot in the stirrup, but had to hoist himself up by the front leg of the horse, then try to get his feet in the stirrup) his foot slipped through the stirrup, the horse started to run and drag him for quite a distance. He hit his head on a post while being drug, and was unconscious when found.
      Another experience in which he nearly lost his life was when he was sent over to Goshan at a very early age to bring in some cattle. A heavy run off of water had dumped a lot of water into the Mona Reservoir, covering bridge and many other landmarks. The horse missed the bridge. The horse couldn’t swim, neither could LeRoy. If it hadn’t been for Gus Keate of Mona, the father of Verlael Keate, a lot of the following facts could not have been told about the life of LeRoy Taylor Ostler.

      When about twelve years of age LeRoy took about a hundred head of sheep, ewes and lambs(those who couldn’t go with the main herd), with only his coat and a few dollars in his pocket, to upper Diamond Fork Canyon, some seventy miles away. He had to trust to luck to find a place to stay each night, then buy something to eat on the way. This trip took about a week. Then a few days later he would return and trail the horses, colts, etc up to Diamond Fork. Sometimes this trip could be made
      One or two days. This was an annual affair for at least six years. Also during his teen years it was an annual affair to drive a team of horses with the camp wagon and trail equipment from Soldiers Summit to Nephi; then in the fall to take it back to Soldiers Summit.
      Much of LeRoy’s schooling was broken into because of the sheep and cattle business, until he had quite a time trying to keep up from year to year. Never the less, he was chosen as president of his Freshman class in high School. He wasn’t very tall but what he lacked in height he made up in strength. He was somewhat older than some of his classmates because he had to miss so much school. His happy school memories, as far as class work was concerned, were connected with his shop classes under Mr. James Spendlove. In his sophomore year he was chosen to attend and extension school of two weeks at Logan, for his agriculture class. He finished high school in three years.
      Now, as to his church membership and activities:
      Baptized by Erin D. Bigler, July 4,1909
      Confirmed by William H. Pettigrew, July 4,1909
      Ordained a Deacon by A.H. Belliston, 8 Feb.1915
      Ordained a Teacher by Joseph M.Christensen, 14th Jan.1918
      Ordained a Priest “ “ “ 29th Nov. 1920
      Ordained a Elder by Robert Lomax 14 June 1922
      Set apart for his mission July 11, 1922 by James E. Talmage
      Left for mission to Holland on 12th July 1922
      Returned from Holland 1st Dec. 1924
      Stake Missionary in 1953-54
      President of the Elders Quorum in the 1930’s
      Member of Genealogical committee of Stake 20 the Dec.1953-1955
      Taught several different Sunday School Classes continuously for at least ten years.

      LeRoy’s missionary experience was entirely different from his early life. He had worked mostly in the great outdoors in the wide open spaces. But most of the places in Holland where he labored were large cities with millions of people. Little did these people know about the freedom which we enjoy. Although Holland was a neutral country it was in constant fear of being dominated by some of the stronger countries surrounding it.


      This experience strengthened his testimony of the gospel. He realized what a great blessing was given to him because of his Great Grandfather, President John Taylor, giving up everything to join the church. Even though he may not have gained a lot of material wealth in his life, yet the blessings of this testimony influenced his life for good, and that of his posterity.
      While on his mission he did have to be operated upon for a goiter. This was a very serious operation in that day; and his life could easily have been taken. But the Lord had further work for him to do and blessed him to recover and perform the same. His sincerity as a missionary won the admiration and love of one of the Lord’s choice souls in Holland, Louise Roth. Louise had a chance to come to America with the family of Van Gervon several months before LeRoy was released from his mission. He returned home in December of 1924. In February, 1925, LeRoy and Louise were married in the Salt Lake Temple.
      They lived for about two years at a ranch southeast of Elberta. The first winter was very hard. Snow was about ten feet deep. Hundreds of cattle and sheep out on the range died because of lack of food and little or no feed could be taken to them. Very little communication could be had between Nephi and the ranch. Very few trips to close-by Elberta could be made for supplies. On December 23,1925 during this hard cold winter, a baby boy was born to LeRoy and Louise. Hoever, Louise and the baby stayed at the Ostler home in Nephi until March.
      The trip back to the ranch was a never-to-be-forgotten one. Little or no trail had been broken for the little open car to reach the ranch. About three miles from the ranch the car stalled and could not be started again. LeRoy carried the baby wrapped in blankets, and Louise was about frozen by the time the ranch house was reached. Wood was their only fuel, which had to be chopped before a fire could be made to warm up the house. This was a cold homecoming for the new mother and child, but it was HOME. Much happiness was known in that small humble home away from the hustle and bustle of community life.
      On the 13th of November, 1927, they were blessed with a baby girl. She was named Elizabeth Louise, and called Betty Lou. Louise only lived two months after this baby was born. She died on the 11th of January. Little Betty Lou was cared for by her Grandmother Ostler. She was a beautiful child, well formed physically and loved by all because she had such a sweet disposition. By the time she was sixteen months old she had lived the span of life allotted to her. She was seized with several convulsions one after another, when she seemed in the pink of health just minutes before. As a result of pneumonia she died on March 10,1929.
      By now LeRoy’s life was very empty. Had it not been for the care and responsibility of a little boy, LeRoy, Jr. he would have given up many times, but he did his best to rear his little son, and be both mother and father too him.


      After the funeral for Louise, our Stake Patriarch, James W. Paxman came down to the Ostler home and gave LeRoy a lovely patriarchal blessing. Among other things he told “That the Lord, according to they prayers, would provide for thee every essential thing for thy development, peace and comfort. He will raise up unto thee in His own due time, another companion in life who shall be virtuous and true and whose spirit shall be congenial, and who shall be a true mother to they children and guard and protect them and bring them up in the nurture of the Lord, to the comfort and blessing of they soul and to the satisfaction of their dear mother.”
      Whether this blessing is to be fully realized is yet to be seen. But LeRoy Ostler and Anna Grace were married in the Salt Lake Temple on August 11,1930.
      LeRoy had continued to work for his father and with his brothers in the farm and cattle business. When the opportunity arose he would find additional employment to help meet family expenses. In 1927 he worked for the Utah Idaho Sugar company, weighting and receiving bids for the company. During the early 30’s he organized a crew of men and together they constructed a dozen or more reservoirs. It was cold and disagreeable work, and not much money, but it was a job and an income.
      By 1937 four new children had come to bless our home, as well as LeRoy Jr. who was nnow twelve years of age. Financial reverses and marital troubles in his father’s family meant that little remuneration could be had from this source, even though LeRoy had given many years of his life and vitality in working for its success. With his father’s promise of years ago “that if he had money for a mission he could expect little from the company as his share” he started out on his own with nothing but a cancelled insurance policy to make a down payment on a farm.
      This farm had belonged to David Casier, but was very run down. No machinery was available so we had to start from scratch to develop a big farm into a productive farm, and obtain machinery little by little to run it. LeRoy worked early and late helping others in order to get an income so machinery could be purchased to run our own farm with. We bought a grain drill and did a lot of drilling for other farmers, to get money to pay for our own seed and necessary equipment.
      The next year he drilled peas for the Hunt Canning Co. He later leased a plot of ground to the company for the construction of a pea vinery, where he became foreman. Our young boys, as they grew, worked many hours also, at the pea vinery. During the year the pea vinery was located on the farm, LeRoy went into the dairy business. He would gather milk from the different farmers and deliver it to the Arden Dairy in Salt Lake.
      Just as a sideline, will say, that one of our dairy cows was called ”La Paloma”. The reason being, that one of the Mexicans who had been hired by the pea viner company took a special liking to one of our cows. He would always sing while milking this particular cow, and his song was “La Paloma”.


      LeRoy needed a silo, so he took an agency with a steel company that built silos and granaries, then sold and constructed silos and granaries within a radius of fifty miles from here.
      LeRoy was appointed brand inspector and was a state employee in this capacity for at least ten years. He became interested in the Farm Bureau. He sold memberships as well as automobile life and fire insurance, also was their representative and claim adjuster. While working with the Utah Farm Bureau, he went on a tour into Montana with a group from the eleven western states, to sell Farm Bureau memberships. Later that year he went with a group to Milford and Beaver to sell Farm Bureau memberships.
      As farming operations became more extensive we needed a truck. Through Pearson and Croft at Marysvale we bought an International pick-up truck and became an agent to sell their farm machinery in this locality. LeRoy and David accompanied LeRoy to Marysvale to obtain the new truck. They were very happy little boys to realize we had some transportation faster than the team and wagon.
      In about 1959 or 1960 LeRoy took out a dealership with Century Water Softner company. He sold and installed water softeners in the vicinity of Brigham City for nearly for nearly a year. He met with an accident that almost cost his life.
      About 1952 or 1953 he became the Justice of the Peace. This gave him many new experiences and knowledge in many facets of life which he comes in contact with.
      After leasing the farm in 1962 he became interested in carpentering work and cement finishing, and in 1963 went into the cement contracting work, putting in curb and gutters, sidewalks and runways, even carports. This together with veterinary work keeps him very busy.
      He has led a very busy life, always looking for how he can earn to pay for the rising expenses of a growing family. No task has ever been to menial for him to give it the best he could, if he thought its performance woulBrief History of Katherin Sorensen Grace as written by Anna G. Ostler (Daughter) July 4, 1964d bring out a better living for his family. He has lived by the policy of not investing in what you do but have ready cash to buy with. He has never believed in installment buying.
      He is the father of ten children, as follows:

      LeRoy Jr. (Roth) born Dec. 25, 1925—Betty Lou, Born Nov. 13, 1927
      David Sorensen, born June 17, 1931
      Grace Taylor Ostler, born Dec. 15, 1932
      John Taylor Ostler born Oct. 24, 1935
      Thomas Morris Ostler, born July 4, 1937
      Karen Ostler, born May 9, 1941
      Paul Harrison Ostler born May 7,1943
      Steven Mark Ostler born Dec.29, 1944
      Kathryn Ostler, born March 19,1948


      All six of his sons have performed honorable missions. Both girls who are married at this time, have been married in the temple to fine, honorable men. As of the summer of 1964, fourteen grandchildren are numbered in his posterity. May each of these children and grandchildren so live that their father and grandfather will have the satisfaction that his valiant efforts and life has not been in vain.
      LeRoy died of cancer 1967

      The Fourth of July, 1901 is the day I began to make history.  George Oliver Ostler and Elizabeth Taylor Ostler (better known as Lizzie) had previously been blessed with three daughters, so they were more than anxious for a boy.  Consequently I was a little extra special to start out with.   During the late summer our family, together with some of our friends, spent a week in Bradley’s Canyon.  Dad would ride back and forth on the saddle horse to work.  One morning Mother and I were missing, but her tracks were headed west so Dad rode fast.  He found Mother and I home safely in bed, Mother having walked the six miles in her sleep. 
      Being the first boy, my father was quite set on having me named George; but my mother, having read the story of “Little Lord Fontleroy”, was equally set on having me named LeRoy Taylor Ostler.  They compromised by naming me Leroy Taylor Ostler.  This was the beginning of a never-ending contention.  Because my Mother dressed me appropriately to my name, such as hair in ringlets, shirts of fine linen trimmed with lace and embroidered, knee trousers of velvet with silver buckles on the knees, stockings were white and securely fastened to a panty waist, the same as my sisters; and my slippers were black with silver buckles on them, I became a thorn in my father’s side.  This type of clothes prevailed until I entered school.  I had to fight every boy because I was a sissy.  Being out-numbered by such great odds, as well as size, I began to tear off the lace and pick out the embroidery work and lose my silver buckles. 
      My father, being equally determined to make a boy out of me, took advantage of every opportunity to have me learn to do things the hard way.  He delighted in taking me with him on horseback; and at an extremely early age, started sitting me on the saddle horse, as well as the workhorses, without any security.  Our corral was about one-half a block from the creek where the animals had to go to drink.  Father would take off the saddle, or the harnesses, and sit me on one of the horses while they went to drink.  This went well as long as he led the animal, even though I fell off several times.  One evening he put me on Buck, the saddle horse, to go alone. 
      I held tightly to his mane and stayed on until he stepped down into the water and lowered his head to drink.  I went over his ears into the water and went downstream.  When the horse returned without me, Dad was excited and rushed to the stream.  By the time he found me I had gone downstream the length of a city block and was nearly drowned.  Pneumonia developed, which left me with weak lungs that have caused me much trouble the rest of my life. 
      When I was five, Dad decided to build a new home of red sandstone.  The quarry where he got the stone was about six miles west of Nephi, in Dog Valley.  Dad was very industrious.  Besides being a harness maker, a farmer, a cattle and sheep man (with his brothers), he found time to get enough stone quarried for the house.  He used to take me with him, together with a Jim Reddin.  We took two wagons each trip, but the process was so slow that whenever Dad could borrow an extra team and wagon he would allow me to ride the middle wagon and hold the lines of the team that was tied onto the back of the lead wagon.  After several trips in this manner I drove alone, with the exception of down the steep hills, when Dad would set and release the brakes for me.
      My brother, George, took delight in going out on the railroad tracks and stop the trains.  He was so nearly hit so many times that we moved into a house a block north of the building in process. 
      During the process of building, I was the water-boy; and did other little jobs such as picking up nails and asking a million foolish questions. 
      In the spring of the year before I turned six, Dad took me to the shepherd with him and left me for a week.  Mother was furious; but this was just the beginning of weaning me away from home.  From then on I was left for longer periods of time until the summer of 1910 when I was left to help with the herding.  
      I was always interested in watching what was done whenever we had someone doctor the animals.  One afternoon, while bringing a load of hay into the feedlot, Dad ran over the front leg of a nice ewe lamb.  The leg was broken so badly that Dad ordered me to kill it, remove the pelt and throw the carcass to the pigs.  The lamb was a very nice animal.  In order to save its life, I smuggled the lamb up into the loft of the barn where I set the leg in splints.  Bu the bone was so mangled and my knowledge was so limited that I couldn’t make the cast solid.  After about two weeks Dad became suspicious that something was going on, so he followed me.  When he found what I was doing, he spanked me severely and ordered the animal killed.  I still felt there was hope, so by night I managed to get the lamb down into Grandmother Ostler’s potato pit.  I cut the leg off just under the knee with the meat saw and pulled the skin over the end and sewed it.  In spite of what I did, it healed well and lived to produce many valuable sheep.
      While early in my teens I took over and did all of the veterinary work, not only for us, but for many of the townsmen.  As I grew older I developed a veterinary practice that called me to towns in a radius of thirty miles.
      One morning, while on the way to town from the ranch, I came upon a Model T Ford stalled in a snowdrift.  A man and his wife were trying to get to a hospital for the deliverance of a baby, but being stuck and unable to get out he had gone on to secure help.  When I learned of the situation I climbed into the back seat of the car, delivered the baby, made the mother and baby as comfortable as possible and went on my way. 
      During my interrupted years at school, I became associated with a group of boys and girls of my own age, whom I enjoyed very much.  One girl in particular I became very fond of.  Not only was she popular, but she came from a family of love and happiness and lived a code of morals to such an extent that I set her up as an ideal for a companion, as well as a guide post to help me over many of the pitfalls that came in my path for years to come.
      I recall going down to Soldier Summit from the sheep herd for supplies at a fourth of July celebration.  The town was young and booming.  The group I was with decided to stay over night with some girls at the hotel, but I had a letter from my girlfriend; and I knew it was not in keeping with her standards.  So with her help and my respect for her, I left the crowd and went home alone.  Four days later all of the men that stayed came down with venereal disease.  Today, that girl and myself are separated by hundreds of miles, have nothing particular in common, but the remembrance of a lovely wholesome past is treasured.
      About 1917 the growing corn for livestock feed became popular, so we decided to build a silo for storage.  The silo was made of concrete stave blocks supported by steel bands at each joint.  During the construction I learned the art of building and helped on many other silos that were built later.
      The building of the silo brought about the necessity of corn harvesting equipment so we purchased an ensilage cutter and I helped harvest all the corn in the valley until other farmers secured their own machines.
      As the years came we enlarged our holdings in land, cattle, sheep, a garage, and a sizeable equity in a moving picture house.  I wasn’t particularly interested in the garage business, but I enjoyed operating the moving picture machine every time I was afforded the opportunity.
      The spring of 1915 we purchased a lambing ground just under the Strawberry Reservoir.  It became my lot to trail the rams (the tail end of the herd that were left behind) up to the lambing ground.  This operation took about a week.  I had a few dollars in my pocket and a coat over my arm.  I trailed early in the morning and as late as possible in the evening, buying a loaf of bread or whatever I had to eat along the way; and trusting I could find a barn or some place to stay at night. 
      As soon as this operation was over I went back home and started over again with about thirty head of colts and horses.  I had to leave Nephi as soon as day began to break in order to reach the ranch by dark.  Some of the time I couldn’t get through in a day and would have to lay in my saddle and blankets for the night and finish the trip the next day.  The same operation in reverse was also a fall procedure. 
      In the spring of 1917 I took two milch cows with me onto the lambing ground, moved camp and picked up the orphan lambs.  It was a never-ending job, but I saved ninety-two lambs, which gave me a good start in the business, for myself. 
      As soon as snow came so that the cattle could get by without water on the winter range we took most of the dry stock to Ferner Valley, Dog Valley and Sage Valley.  We usually had a cattle herder.  Not that I was of much value due to size and age, I was often left out with the herders over the weekends.  Some of the weekends were nine or ten days long.  Frequently we would run wild horses.  One day Bob Chappel caught a nice two-year-old buckskin mare.  She was poor and covered with wood ticks; but it meant I had a horse of my own and I was very proud of her.  The next summer, with the help of David Latimer, I broke her to ride. 
      That fall I was helping with the branding.  We had a small corral down in the lower end of the farm especially for that purpose.  Father left me to put out the fire and bring the branding irons.  After cooling the irons and putting out the fire I tied the irons on the saddle.  Being too small to reach the horn of the saddle, I pulled myself up by holding onto the saddle strings until I could get my foot into the stirrup and reach the horn with my hand.  This day my foot slipped clear through the stirrup and jabbed the mare in the ribs, which made her run.  She ran the length of a five-acre field, dragging me by one foot.  As she made the turn down the lane, I swung out and hit the fence.  The stirrup strap broke and let me loose, but I had a fractured skull.
      While still working with my father, we had ninety acres of irrigated alfalfa.  It seemed like we were always putting up hay.  We started to cut hay before anyone else.  We usually used two mowers and continued to cut until it was all down, in the pile, and ready to haul.  We had two good hay wagons and plenty of horse and other equipment.  I started riding the derrick horse when about five years old; and was graduated to handling the Jackson Fork much too soon because it was much too heavy for me, especially with my younger brothers riding the derrick horse.  Dad did the stacking.  He worked much too hard because of our inexperience and ability to drop the hay where he wanted it.  Even so he was an exceptionally good stacker, building long, wide and tall stacks.  Our hay, for the most part, was much too dry and exceptionally hard to handle, but having so much of it we had to keep at it.  As soon as we finished the first crop of hay on the irrigated farm, we went to the Tolley ranch and put up sixty-five acres of dry land alfalfa.  By the time we finished there we had the mowers cutting on our two hundred acres of meadow hay.  When the meadow hay was done we were starting on the second crop; and thus it went until grain harvest and corn cutting time. 
      During the summer of 1917 I had the misfortune of dropping a heavy harrow on my foot, which put me on crutches for two months.  To keep me out of mischief Dad sent me up to the herd to take the place of one of the men who could help on the farm.  He figured that I could ride a horse and could get along somehow.
      Each fall we shipped our lambs to Kansas City for sale.  We all liked to go on this trip, even though it was very inconvenient to ride freight trains.  Because it afforded a lot of practical education these trips were very helpful to a young boy.  By carefully planning, I saw much of the United States that would otherwise be unknown to me. 
      In the fall of 1919 I felt the urge to go back to school.  I had quite an argument with the principal and the superintendent about starting in high school, inasmuch as I had only finished the sixth grade before quitting.  They proffered to let me in for a trial and I could only stay as long as I maintained a class average.  It was a challenge and I had to study more than I had planned on, but I was elected President of the Freshman Class, as well as president of the Ag Club.  My Father was unhappy about me going back to school, so I was without money.
      My shop teacher, Jim Spendlove, took an interest in me and I worked with him after school, Saturdays and some class periods finishing homes, etc.  During slack periods I made double trees and neck yokes for farmers.  When the need for double trees and neck yokes slowed down I turned to making folding ironing boards and rolling pins.  In the spring of 1920 we started to put in cement floors, walks and etc.  This gave me a good supply of cash and a field of knowledge that has helped me to this day. 
      My mother was anxious for me to fill a mission; but my father opposed it so I had to figure some means of support.
      During my second year of high school I became interested in one of my high school teachers.  I was a year younger than she, but she was a graduate of the Chicago University.  She encouraged me to take extra classes and helped me to plan my classes so I could graduate in three years.  Having a girl friend required more money than before so I became affiliated with the Murray Meat Company and worked out a plan where I could buy cattle, sheep and hogs for them and sell them on a dressed basis. 
      I had a good pony and I bought a number of notebooks.  Each morning at the crack of day I would go from corral to corral and list every animal into several categories; then place a valuation on each one so that I could afford to buy it and sell with a good profit.  After school I would go back and bargain with the owner and for the most part I made a deal.  By the end of the school year I had $1,200.  (I’m grateful we didn’t have to file an income tax in those days.)  With this income, together with the value of the livestock that I had accumulated and turned over to my Dad, I was able to pretty well finance myself on a mission. 
      I was called to the Netherlands Mission, so I ordered a passport.  Inasmuch as I was not twenty-one and my Father wouldn’t sign for it, I had to wait until July 4, for a visa.  On July 9, I was set apart and on my way.
      Before leaving I helped trail the herd to Soldier summit.  Having encountered many difficulties that we were not expecting, it took two days longer than we had anticipated.  To top it all, when we arrived there, I had to drive the team and camp outfit back to Nephi.  It was already late in the afternoon and I was dog-tired, but I started for home, traveling all night, and arrived home just before noon of the day I was to be set apart and go.  The Lord was with me and I got there just in time. 
      There was a group of six in our party, four to Holland and two to Germany.  I slept all night and awoke just as we came into Cheyenne, Wyoming.  I had traveled over most of the country before, but at a different time of the year, so it was still interesting to me.  We stopped at Chicago, transferred and were soon on our way to Quebec.  As we left the Hudson Bay we stayed within land sight of the coast until we reached sight of Iceland, then we turned east, sailing on the “Empress of Britain”.  During the night it became quite cold and we were awakened by a continuous blast from what we learned was a foghorn.  When we went on deck the next morning it was terribly foggy.  We were anchored, waiting for the fog to lift because we were in an iceberg zone.  It seemed like we had sailed for a month.  Then one morning, just as the sun was coming up out of the ocean, the green hills of Scotland came into sight.  It was a glorious view.  We landed at Harwich, England, and left by train for London.  Here we were met by one of the representatives of the steamship company, who prevailed upon us to cross the English Channel a day sooner than we had planned.  We were badly misled, because we got onto a freighter without supper and had no sleeping accommodations.  The channel was terribly rough and I became so sick I thought I was going to die, then I was afraid that I couldn’t die.  I lay down on the floor and locked my arms around a table leg.  I stayed there until they carried me off and set me down on a bench just outside of the Customs Office.  The sidewalk still kept trying to come up to meet me; but I was too sick to do anything more than close my eyes and open my mouth.
      Inasmuch as we were a day earlier than schedule, no one was there to meet us.  We had to catch a train from the Hook of Holland to Rotterdam, and then find someone with transportation to get us from the station to Crooswijkschesingle 16 B, the address of the Church Headquarters.  We hired an old man who had a two-wheeled cart to carry our trunks and baggage, which he pushed by hand.  We six forlorn wanderers followed him up the cobblestone road to our destination.  We slept all day.  That evening we went to meeting in Rotterdam.  There was a big crowd and nearly every one talked to me but I couldn’t understand a word of it. 
      This night I met Sister Louise Roth.  It seemed as though I had known her all my life.  She impressed me very much, not only looks but in sincerity and character that constitute a true L.D.S. girl.  Her home was in Rotterdam, but she was working for a family of newly baptized saints living at Schedam. 
      The next day I was assigned to work at Schedam with Brother Hyrum Dalingha, man in his late fifties, a native of Holland who had emigrated to Ogden.  He had no idea of how to help me with the language or anything else, inasmuch as he would run off and leave me alone for as long as a week at a time.
      The Vangervens, where Louise was working, were wealthy and very kind.  We ate dinner at their place twice a week.  They also had an automobile (the only family of saints in Holland with an automobile).  They took us to church twice a week to Rotterdam in the car.  I taught an English class once a week and we had choir practice once a week, so I was in the company of Sister Roth nearly every day of the week.  This went on from mid July until late November, when I was transferred to Delft, to work with Ruloff Steemblick, an Elder of Dutch descent.  He had been in the mission field about a year.  He helped me a great deal with the language and the Gospel.  We worked long, hard hours tracting.  Brother Steemblick came from a large family.  They wrote to him often, but packages were few and far between.  My mother kept me well supplied with candy, cookies, etc. which I had out for both of us to use at will.  When our Christmas boxes came from home, Brother Steemblick put his goodies in his trunk with no offer to share, which hurt me just a little, even though I kept it to myself.
      I had an idea that Brother Steemblick was getting into my trunk and reading my mail, so I placement of certain articles, which seemed to be placed in the same position that I left them.  One evening I went to bed extra early.  After being gone for about an hour I returned very quietly and found Brother Steemblick at my trunk reading my letters.  This hurt me very badly.  I broke down and cried to think that I had trusted him so implicitly and then to have him treat me in such a sneaky manner. 
      He asked forgiveness and we kneeled down and prayed for the Lord to forgive both of us that we might forgive one another and enjoy our work together; that we might enjoy the spirit of our calling and have success. 
      About a month later I received a letter from Sister Louise Roth telling me that the Van Gerven family was immigrating to America and that she was going with them.  I didn’t tell Brother Steemblick about the letter, but the next day Brother Steemblick had an excuse to go to Rotterdam.  He had gotten into my trunk and made a copy of the letter and took it to President Hyde.  President Hyde didn’t come out to see me for about a week.  In the meantime I had written to President Hyde, asking permission to go to the boat and see the saints off for America.  I was delighted with Brother Hyde’s visit; but not until then did I know that Brother Steemblick had been reading my mail again.  In the presence of Brother Steemblick I related everything that had happened between he and myself and my acquaintance with Sister Roth.  President Hyde was very kind and asked if I cared to continue working with Brother Steemblick.  I told him that I was forgiving and willing to try once more, but I would leave it up to him and the Lord to decide. 
      The Volendam, the boat on which Louise was to sail, was to leave at 9 p.m.  I went to Rotterdam where they had a farewell meeting for about twenty saints who were leaving that night.   We left the church and walked down to the boat in a group, about 125 of us all together.  I had purchased a nice handbag as a remembrance for Louise.  As the whistle blew in readiness for us to leave, in the presence of Louise’s mother, Brother Hyde, and the missionaries and saints, I put my arm around Louise and kissed her goodbye.  Brother Hyde and his wife turned and looked at each other but said nothing.  About a month later I was transferred to Amsterdam to work with Brother Francis De Bry until the arrival of some new missionaries. 
      About three weeks later I was on my way home to Marnixstraat when I saw two Americans.  They were badly confused with the directions a policeman was giving them.  So I proceeded to help them by telling them that I would take them there and wouldn’t charge them very much.  I didn’t tell them that the address they were inquiring about was my address.  They tried to brush me off a dozen or more times and get rid of me, but I kept on just as persistent and lead them right to the door, took out the key, opened the door and said, “Welcome home, Brothers, I am Elder Ostler.”  We went upstairs and had a hilarious good time.  Brother Lyon and Brother Perkins were the new Elders and Brother Lyon was assigned to me. 
      We loved each other, worked hard and made a multitude of friends.  Brother Lyon learned the language fast and in two months was sent to Amersfort to become senior elder. 
      I then took Brother Perkins for a companion.  He was still studying hard trying to learn the language, when I was transferred to Den Helder, with Brother Fisser, an 85-year-old Dutchman from America, as my companion.  He was a good man but only wanted to visit with the saints and talk about going home.
      I had a goiter that was bothering me, so President Hyde gave me the choice of going home for an operation, or undergo the operation in Rotterdam.  I chose to have it done in Rotterdam so I could complete my mission.  I did well and returned to Crooswijkschesingle 16 B on Thanksgiving Day.  After a week I was transferred to Amersfort to work with Brother Billings, who had just been operated upon for appendicitis.  He was a good boy but terribly in love and homesick.   This was a rough winter.  Coal was rationed to seven pounds per week.  I was terribly weak and had lost weight until I weighed less than one hundred pounds.  Thousands of Belgian children, refugees of the war, were scattered through the city and it was very common to see them lying dead in the streets and hauled off to the garbage dumps. 
      I was transferred to Appledorn to work with Brother Crockett, and later was given Brother Carstensen as a partner.  We became very intimate with a policeman and his family, but because of family pressure they didn’t join the church.
      Brother Hyde planned on letting me be home for Christmas, so he sent me down to Leige, Belgium for a conference speaker.  From there I toured Belgium, France and Germany, on a bicycle.  I sailed from Cherborge, France for home on the “Majestic”, the largest boat sailing on the sea at that time.  While still in Paris I made connections with a French army officer and toured the battlefields of World War I, from start to finish. 
      We had a lovely voyage; but what a glorious sight to see the Goddess of Liberty welcoming us back home.  The Elders in New York put themselves out to show me as much of the city as possible in twenty-four hours.  I spent a few hours in Birmingham, New York to see Lazell Chase and Lillian Weight, girls from Nephi who were on a mission.  
      I stopped in Chicago overnight, with my Mother’s brother, John who was the Mission President there.  I had planned on surprising the folks at home by walking in on them, but Uncle John phoned and they were in Salt Lake with Louise Roth to meet me.  Because of heavy snow the train was two days late getting to Salt Lake.  That night two more feet of snow fell, which made it nearly impossible to get to the railroad station enroute to Nephi.  I arrived home, Louise with me, December 23, 1924.

      The snow continued to pour down.  The day after Christmas Louise left to go back to Salt lake and I left with a load of feed for Ferner Valley where the herd of sheep was snowed in.  The snow was as much as twelve feet deep on some places.  I had a terrible time getting to camp and found the herd to be in a terrible condition. 
      After spending a week with the sheep Dad asked me to try and get through and go down to the Hancock Ranch (a large cattle and horse ranch about thirty miles away, where my sisters, Bessie, Fanny and Gwen and their husbands were living and supposedly taking care of the animals).  The snow was back deep to my horse, so we took turns breaking trail.  After seventeen hours of fighting snow, I stumbled into the ranch, wet, cold and exhausted.  On the way I saw many dead cattle, as well as a hundred or more that were snowed in and starving.  The next day we spent building a snow sled to get feed to the snowbound cattle.  We also started to haul and trail some of them into the ranch.  This procedure went on for a week and things looked worse each day.  My brothers-in-law were not used to that kind of work and didn’t know what had to be done.  After two weeks of night and day work.  I took three horses to change off with, and made my way back to Nephi.
      After reporting the situation to my Father, he gave me $100.00 to buy furniture, clothes and supplies to get married, move out onto the ranch and take over.  Louise Herberdina Roth, daughter of Larence Roth and Johanna DeRoon, and I were married February 19, 1925 in the Salt Lake Temple
      Two of my brothers-in-law were badly discouraged and left.  The other one, Frank Higginson, was sick with miners’ consumption, but he was willing to do his best and was a great help for the next fifteen months. 
      Besides the cattle and horses, we had a hundred or more starving red pigs that we fed the dead cattle to.  The winter was long and hard.  Our food supply was short.  Before spring broke we had lost at least 150 head of cattle and were pretty badly discouraged, but we had to go on.
      My wife was not used to frontier living and became terribly homesick.  We all lived together in a little three-room house.  In my spare time I dismantled part of the barn and built a two-room cottage, with a storage cellar underneath.  This was home sweet home to us.  We eventually had running hot and cold water.  We had no means of transportation other than a wagon, or horseback, unless we invited ourselves to go with the Higginsons and their four small children in their small car.  We did this quite often. 

      However I took advantage of the trips to town with the wagon, by driving a bronco horse with an old standy.  We usually lead another bronco behind and drove it back to the ranch, enabling me to break two horses as well as go to Church and do our shopping.  One time we decided to ride horses, but the one Louise was riding bucked and threw her off and she wouldn’t try any more. 
      On the ranch we had an eight-acre variety orchard, as well as three acres of concord grapes and a patch of strawberries.  We had a small garden and about eighty acres of alfalfa.  The ditches from the mountains to the ranch were in poor condition and needed constant care.  To help out Dad hired an old man to do most of the watering.  He was a very independent old fellow. He had to have his meals fixed just so and at the right time.  This posed quite a problem and it became easier to do the work myself than it was to wait on him.
      By the end of the summer I began to make preparations in case of an emergency because were expecting a baby.  Father promised to send someone to relieve me, but no one came.  Winter set in early.  I had the cattle scattered through the hills and they had to be moved every few days.  Sensing the seriousness of keeping Louise out there so far away from help, I decided that I had better get her to town.  On the morning of December 21, we left the ranch in an old Model “A” Ford, and arrived in Nephi late that afternoon.  Louise was sick so we went to my mother’s, where she went to bed.  My sister, Bessie, and her family were living there too, for which we were very grateful because she was very kind to Louise.  The next day we checked on the nurse and doctor, to have things as nearly ready as possible when the time came. 
      The next morning, December 23, before daylight, Louise started in labor, so I called the doctor.  He was dead drunk.  I called the nurse and he had gone onto another case.  My Mother was in Salt Lake.  So my sister, Bessie and I stood by awaiting Nature’s developments.  Just before noon the doctor walked in, just in time to tie the naval cord of my first little boy.  The Lord blessed us because Mother and baby got along well. 
      No one was willing to relieve me at the ranch, so a week after LeRoy was born, I took my saddle horse and went to Dog Valley and stayed at a camp we had set up there.  The next day I worked with the cattle on the way to the ranch.  The next two days I stayed at and around the ranch doing all I could to feed and care for the animals, then spend the next night at Dog Valley and the next night home with my wife and family.  This went on until April 1, when I took Louise and Le Roy back to the ranch with me. 
      Later on that summer as LeRoy could waddle out to the corral, clad only in his diaper and shirt, he would wait for his Daddy to come.  I held out my hands and he would grasp my forefinger of each hand, while I dipped him completely under in the cold watering trough.  At first I thought this would discourage him from coming out to the corral, but he would stand and wait for me at the watering trough each morning until I dipped him under the water, then he would waddle on back to his mother in the house.
      Another experience we had while at the Hancock Ranch took place at a dug dry well about thirty feet east of my cottage.  It was about eighty feet deep, with little or nothing over the top of it.  When I moved to the ranch there were several old bedsprings and other worthless household articles which littered the dooryard.  One stormy day we gathered up the junk and dumped it down the well.  One set of bedsprings lodged about thirty-five feet down.  During the summer, Neddy Higginson, then about eighteen months old, was missing.  As the search progressed we found him caught on the springs down the well.  My lariat was not long enough to reach him, so I ran and got the trip-rope from the derrick fork, tied it to my lariat, made a loop and tried to drop it over him.  On the second try I managed to maneuver the rope over his head and under one arm so I could lift him out.  We took time to fill the well with rocks.
      In addition to the regular summer work we had to replace a pipeline, and the pipe had to be hauled from the ranch onto the line.  I traded labor with two of my neighbors because it required three men and twelve horses to get the loads of pipe up the steep hills.
      Christmas Eve came and we started for Nephi before daylight.  As we passed the sheep camp I heard a little lamb blat, so I knew we were in trouble.  I took Louise and LeRoy back to the ranch and then put the sheep herd in the corral and pulled out 128 head of ewes that would lamb the next day or so.  We had to work fast to make shelter and feed preparations for the new emergency. 
      Two days later we once more started for Nephi but the snow was so deep that it took us until eleven thirty that night to get down to Bronsons on the outskirts of Elberta where we slept on the floor.  Next morning we proceeded on to Nephi.  Louise was terribly homesick, but in spite of it she insisted on going back to the ranch with me after three days in town.  We made good time on the way back to the ranch, but when we left Elberta it was snowing.  The further we went the deeper the snow.  Darkness came and shortly after we got stuck in a drift and couldn’t get out.  So we wrapped LeRoy in a quilt and I carried him in my arms.  Louise hung onto my coat and we tramped through snow to our knees, sometime as deep as our waist.  We had three miles to go, so Louise and I were wet to our waists and terribly cold when we stumbled into our little cottage in the wilderness.  We changed our clothes and it wasn’t long before our fire was pouring out warmth, which made us thankful to be home once more.  We knelt down and had prayers.  After tucking LeRoy and Louise into bed I went out, hitched up the team and pulled the car to the ranch inasmuch as there was no anti-freeze in our radiator.

      One afternoon while working in the yard I hear Louise scream.  I rushed to see what was the matter.  LeRoy was playing just outside and Louise went to the door to check on him. There was a big rattlesnake coiled up on our doorstep.  Louise was terribly frightened, but couldn’t get out of the house, so she grabbed the beat saw and the broom.  When I arrived she had the broom on the snake’s head and her foot on the other end and was sawing it in two.
      We were expecting another baby in November, so I set a date for leaving the ranch, hoping that someone would come and relieve me, but when September 15 came I packed what few belongings we had on the wagon and drove the team to Nephi.  We looked at several homes but Louise hesitated at each one, inasmuch as she was sure something was going to happen and we would not need it, so we moved into an old home down on the farm.  We had to carry water for two blocks, and we only had kerosene lamps, but it was home and we were happy. 
      Shortly after we moved in from the Hancock ranch I was fortunate in getting a job with the Utah-Idaho sugar company, running their beet dump at Nephi.  This gave us some badly needed cash.  However I had to work early and late to keep up with my own work as well as work on the farm.  
      When Louise started in labor I went for the doctor and the nurse.  Towards evening we had a lovely baby girl, Betty Lou, a name her mother had chosen a long time before.  Next morning Louise was quite sick so the doctor wrote a prescription for me to have filled.  Inasmuch as I had to go to town the doctor advised me to go to the dentist and have a wisdom tooth pulled that was bothering me. 
      While the prescription was being filled I went to the dentist.  He pulled and dug until mid afternoon, when he admitted he couldn’t get it.  So I went home to find that the nurse’s children had sent for her.  She was gone and didn’t come back. The doctor came and left a pain pill for me and informed me that if Louise didn’t show improvement by morning that we would have to move her to town.  That evening after caring for Louise and the baby I took a pain pill and went to bed on a cot in the kitchen.  I was soon asleep but I could hear dogs barking and sheep running.  I don’t know how long this went on but when I awoke I was kneeling, looking out the kitchen window.  It was terribly cold and a moonlight night.  In spite of my face being terribly swollen, I could see about a hundred sheep running around the house with a pack of dogs chasing them.  I hurried to the back room to get my shotgun.  As I opened the back door to get out, the sheep rushed into the kitchen and on into the bedroom.  They were so frightened and moved so fast they knocked the bedroom stove over.  I soon had a room full of smoke and a fire on the floor.  It was several minutes before I could get the sheep out of the bedroom and the fire extinguished.  The house was covered with soot, cold, as the fire was out.  I had two crying babies and a terribly sick wife.  I got the stove in place, the pipe up and the fire going and spent the rest of the night cleaning up after the sheep. 
      Before noon the next day we moved into an upstairs room in my mother’s house.  Louise was literally bleeding to death and the doctor was not doing anything about it.  I asked him to call in another doctor to help him, but he refused.  I took the case out of his hands and hired another doctor. He soon had the blood stopped but Louise’s kidneys were infected and she had developed a bad leak in her heart.  Medicine for one reacted on the other until she was so low on blood and run down that the doctor decided she would have to have some blood and it would have to be soon.  My blood seemed to be the only blood that would match hers for type.  So a quart of my blood was taken for Louise.  She responded, but never seemed to feel well. Three weeks passed.  In the course of the next twenty days I gave her a quart of my blood every other day.  She lapsed into unconsciousness for two days.  I had prayed and fasted so long, only to see her fade away.  Had it not been for LeRoy and Betty Lou, I, too, would have given up.  I hung onto her so desperately that she could neither live nor die.  I went into one of the other bedrooms and poured out my soul to the Lord, to give me courage to do his will; and should it be his will that I give her up, would he open a way for our future.  I went back to her bedside, lay my hands upon her head and blessed her that she could have rest.  As I did so she took one long breath, opened her eyes, smiled at me and she was gone.
      I was whipped and I knew it.  The first Sunday in February I took my two children to Church with me, at which time I gave my baby girl a name and a blessing, according to the wish of her Mother.  
      My Father’s brother, Steven, owned a farm adjoining ours.  He needed someone to do the feeding when he was away and it gave me some extra cash.  During the late winter and early spring I cleaned his ditches and supervised a hired man besides working myself every chance I could break away.  By fall his yards were bulging with hay.  During the winter, snow fell deep all over the valley, then we had an extra heavy storm that closed all of the field roads and hay became a premium in almost over night.  Uncle Steve was somewhere in California and I couldn’t locate him.  Finally I had so many exceptionally good offers for his hay I decided to sell it for him.  I was very car4eful to keep all the weights and money up to date.  Six weeks later the roads were open and you could buy hay for half of what I had sold for.  One evening Uncle Steve came to my place and was furious to think I had sold without his permission.  After he had cooled down some and given me a chance to speak I explained to him that if he needed hay that I would gladly replace it and he would have money left over.  This he doubted.  He set out a lump sum that he demanded of me.  It was very unreasonable and he knew it, but I got the cash box out and after satisfying his demand I handed him an extra $1,100.00.  This was such a surprise to him that he gave me $200.00 for my efforts. 
      Sixteen months after Louise’s death we were sitting in the living room of my Mother’s home one cold March evening.  All eyes seemed to be focused on Betty Lou when she slowly tucked her dolls in and covered them with a blanket, one on each, then slid down out of the big rocking chair.  She started to walk toward my sister, Emma, and held her hands up to Emma for her to pick her up.  As she did so she went into a convulsion.  The doctor was there within minutes, but she came out of one only to go into another for two days, when she too passed away. 
      Since the Lord had promised me in my Patriarchal Blessing that he had raised up another companion for me and I would know her when I met her, I made it a matter of prayer and started to go out with girls.  I went with several; any one of them would have made me a choice companion.  But after praying about it we just stopped going together, but remained good friends.  Finally I met a lovely girl that I knew at school in my freshman year.  As the Lord promised me, I would know her when I met her, so it was.  She was, and has been a gift of God to me.  She was teaching school at Roosevelt, so we were separated periodically for a year, then we went to the house of the Lord and were married August 11, 1930.  She was not only a wonderful companion to me, but a lovely mother to my little boy and he loved her with all his heart.  
      We lived in part of the house with Anna’s father and his wife.  The depression was on and it was terribly hard to get a job so we weathered the storm the best we knew how.
      I went into the mountains and cut green oak, hauled it home, cut it up, but had to put it into the oven the day before so it would dry enough to burn (we couldn’t afford coal).  I worked here and there for a few eggs, meat and what have you.  With milk and butter from our cow, Anna’s savings, and a few days work now and then that she could get as a typist we pulled through.  I was still helping out on my Father’s farm as well, but with little or no remuneration.
      Father had purchased a large section of land from President Grant.  It meant we were farming about 2,000 acres, planting half of it to wheat each year.  We had purchased a 4 D Caterpillar tractor, plows, harrows, drills and a combine harvester so were heavily in debt in addition to payments on the farm.  We had one good year followed by a drought year, a frost year, then another drought year.  We had sold the sheep her and should have cleared away much of the debt, but Father was Judge and Jury.  Inasmuch as everything was in his name he did how and when he pleased.  He also became involved with other women, so without making payments for three years and so many other mistakes, President Grant took the farm from us and gave it to the Church.  We regained part of the land for our machinery.  This time each of the boys were allotted certain amounts of land, but there was so much hatred and foul play in motion all the time that I decided that it was not worthwhile, so I pulled away from it and never went back. 
      Father wanted a divorce, but wanted Mother to get it.  After many years of quarreling my father tried to get me to go to court and testify falsely against my Mother.  When this failed I lost all interest in everything that we had earned as a team, so by cashing in Anna’s and my insurance, we gathered together enough to make the down payment on a repossessed farm from the Federal Land Bank.
      The place was run down and in terrible condition.   To make things worse we had no machinery or tools or power and only half enough water.  I worked at night burning weeds because the canyon breeze helped carry the flame into the unburned weeds.  I purchased a small team on time, together with a mowing machine and a plow.  By budgeting my time I was able to get enough work on the side to pay for my team, mower and plow.

      The Farm Security Program under the U.S. Government came to my aid and loaned me enough money to buy a pick-up truck, some water stock, and some other equi0ment.  The truck gave me more time to get around so I doctored hundred of horses during the spring of the year and other animals during the rest of the year.  Shortly after I operated a beet dump for the Utah Idaho Sugar Co.  I was soon appointed brand inspector.  During the fall and winter I formed a small company and we went all over the range building stock watering reservoirs.  The next spring I took an agency with an eartag company and sold ear tags to the stockmen.  I learned of a lady who had some water stock, with the intent on purchasing a tombstone for her two deceased husbands.  So I took an agency for tombstones, sold her the tombstones and purchased her water stock.  We were both happy.
       I needed a tractor very badly so I leased a section of the farm to the Pea company for a viner to be placed on my land.  I got a job as foreman on the viner and paid for my tractor by leasing it to the Pea Company for power.  We also had a contract stacking pea vines.  The first two years I planted all of the peas for the company.  While working for the Pea Company I slipped and sustained a double hernia and spent nearly all winter recuperating.  By now we were out of debt so I purchased a 200-acre plot of ground down in the sinks.  We had a well drilled, fenced it to keep the cattle in, and planted it to rye.  We also purchased an eighth interest in the Nephi Land and Livestock Company for summer pasture for the cattle. 
      One of my friends called my attention to a sick herd of cattle so I told him how much I could pay.  He bought them for $300.00 less and brought them to me.  He made $300.00 and was glad.  They were a sorry looking sight.  They had all gone blind and their skin was peeling off in chunks, but knowing what to do I soon had them on the way to recovery.  By the next spring when I sold them, I had more than ten times my investment, even though my neighbors were ready to try me for insanity. 
      During the winter I purchased a land leveler.  After going over my own farm I used it on nearly every other farm in the radius of a mile. 
      I answered an advertisement for a silo and they sent one of their representatives to see me.  He gave me a good deal whereby I could pay for it by helping him erect two other silos.  After that I took an agency and sold silo at Lynndyl and one at Axtel.  I took my boys with me and we soon became expert in steel construction.  From silos we went into selling and construction of steel grain bins.  There was more money in volume so we bought