So shall it be with my father: he shall be
called a prince over his posterity, holding
the keys of the patriarchal priesthood over the kingdom of God on earth, even the Church
of the Latter Day Saints, and he shall sit in the general assembly of patriarchs, even in
council with the Ancient of Days when he shall sit and all the patriarchs with him and shall
enjoy his right and authority under the direction of the Ancient of Days.
First Name:  Last Name: 
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]

BAKER, Claude Vincent[1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12]

Male 1881 - 1945  (63 years)  Submit Photo / DocumentSubmit Photo / Document

 Set As Default Person    

Personal Information    |    Media    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name BAKER, Claude Vincent 
    Birth 20 Mar 1881  Richfield, Sevier, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  [2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
    Gender Male 
    WAC 15 Nov 1911  MANTI Find all individuals with events at this location 
    _TAG Reviewed on FS 
    Death 9 Feb 1945  Payson, Utah, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  [9, 10, 11, 12
    Burial 13 Feb 1945  Escalante Cemetery, Escalante, Garfield, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  [11, 12
    Headstones Submit Headstone Photo Submit Headstone Photo 
    Person ID I54285  Joseph Smith Sr and Lucy Mack Smith
    Last Modified 19 Aug 2021 

    Family ID F26676  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family LISTON, Lillie ,   b. 28 May 1884, Escalante, Garfield, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this locationEscalante, Garfield, Utah, United Statesd. 4 Jun 1960, Escalante, Garfield, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location (Age 76 years) 
    Marriage 17 Dec 1902  Escalante, Garfield, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    +1. BAKER, Vonda Lillie ,   b. 21 Apr 1926, Boulder, Garfield, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this locationBoulder, Garfield, Utah, United Statesd. 16 Sep 2000, Richfield, Sevier, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location (Age 74 years)
    Family ID F2353  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart
    Last Modified 24 Jan 2022 

  • Photos At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.
    At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.

  • Notes 
    • From great-granddaughter Alta Baker Black [daughter of John Richard Baker]: "My father, John, lived during most of his childhood years with Grandma Hayward."
      From great-granddaughter Margaret Baker McKinnen [daughter of Walter Baker]: "My father, Walter, was a sickly child, and Grandma Hayward took care of him much of the time."
      From great-great-granddaughter Maneta Haycock Hair [granddaughter of William George Baker, Jr.]: "My mother, Mabel Baker Haycock, said that after Grandpa Hayward died, one of the grandchildren had the privilege of taking Grandma Hayward's breakfast to her in bed, as Grandpa had always done. She was happy if she was the lucky child to be chosen."
      From great-granddaughter Ruth Baker Thompson [daughter of Claude Vincent Baker]: "My father said, 'After I fell into the tub of boiling soap, the last thing I remember before passing out was Ma and Grandma Hayward coming as fast as they could run...After I began to get better, Grandma Hayward sat and massaged 'my little arm' as she called it, for hours at a time, until it grew as straight and strong as the other."
      From great-granddaughter Viola Ogden Cowley [daughter of Elizabeth Baker]: She cherishes the lace cap Grandma Hayward wore, and which she has in her possession.
      From great-granddaughter Ruth Baker Thompson [daughter of Claude Vincent Baker]: "I have always been proud to carry Grandma Hayward's name "Ruth". I am fortunate to share her birthday, May 1st. My mother said, "As we were driving by Aunt Jane's [Baker Peterson] house on our way home with our new baby girl (I was born at Grandma Liston's house in Escalante) the entire family came out to see the baby. The first thing Aunt Jane said was, "You must name her Ruth. She was born on Grandma Hayward's birthday." Then all the Baker family in Boulder (and many of them lived there at that time) chimed in with, "The baby's name must be Ruth." Soon a letter from Grandma Baker came saying, "Your baby was born on Mother's birthday. You must name her Ruth." Mother said she had no choice. My name was Ruth."

      Perhaps one reason why Grandma Hayward was so involved with her Baker grandchildren was because my Grandmother Baker, Hannah, was the only one of her two daughters who grew to adulthood and raised a family. Therefore, Grandma Baker's family was her (Grandma Hayward's) only family.

      Daughter of William Hayward and Ruth Hughes
      Born 23 February 1839, Sheerness, England
      Died 14 March 1918, Richfield, Utah
      Married William George Baker
      (A brief sketch of the life of my grandmother Baker, as told by Claude Vincent Baker, my father, to me, Ruth Baker Thompson)

      Grandmother Baker spent her girlhood in England. She had one full sister, Emma, who died in infancy. Her father was a cook in the Royal Navy and was absent from home most of the time. Hannah was seven years old before her father ever saw her, as he was away at sea during that time. When he returned he found that his wife had accepted a new religious faith, Mormonism, to which he also became converted. He was baptized 20 April 1851, and after working and saving for two years he was able to buy passage for his family to Utah. They sailed 23 March 1853, for New Orleans. Hannah would have been a girl of 14 at that time.

      My father didn’t know any details of their trip to Utah. He knew they came with a wagon company and supposed they had a wagon of their own, but in ReVon Hayward Porter’s account of William Hayward’s life, in this book, she states that: (They) “left Kanesville, Iowa, on July 14, 1853 in the Appleton M. Harmon Co. to cross the planes…There were 200 people in the company with 20 wagons. The Haywards finished this part of the trip by walking…arriving in Salt Lake City, Utah on October 16, 1853.” Mabel Baker Haycock says of her Grandmother Baker and her parents: “They had no oxen of their own, so of course, walked…across the planes. Their luggage was left at Council Bluffs.”

      They went to Ogden to live. About a year later my grandmother was a guest at a wedding. After the couple was married, the Elder who had performed the ceremony made the remark that there might as well be another wedding performed, since there was another couple present who would be married within the year anyway. He then pointed out Grandmother and Grandfather Baker. They were complete strangers, but I suppose they then got acquainted.

      They never could have spanned the class barrier had they still been in England. The Haywards were poor, lower class Englishmen, while the Bakers were wealthy, cultured, well-educated. Hannah had the education of the common people, while William George was educated to be an English gentleman. Grandfather’s mother, Jean or Jane Rio Griffiths Baker, was disappointed and opposed to seeing her son marry the poor immigrant girl. She disinherited him. They were married in Ogden where they lived with the Haywards for about five years. Their first two children, William George Jr., and Ruth Jean Rio (Aunt Jane), were born during that time.

      Grandfather Baker and his father-in-law, William Hayward, spent the winter of 1857-58 in Echo Canyon helping to try to keep Johnson’s Army from entering Utah. I suppose they were gone during the fall months, because father said that his mother and grandmother did the best they could at harvesting the crops and storing the grain. He said he had often heard them tell how they had kindling arranged in one corner of their home, so it could be easily set on fire if the army came. When the people were asked to move south while the army passed through, they loaded their wagon and went along.

      Grandmother’s first two children, William George and Ruth Jean Rio, were born in Ogden. From there they moved to Moroni where Henry and William Hayward were born. William Hayward was born 17 August 1863 and died 9 July 1865. They were then called to settle Sevier Valley. They, with Grandfather and Grandmother Hayward were among the first who entered Richfield and commenced a settlement there. Grandfather, who was an exceptionally fine mason and carpenter, built many of the first houses in Richfield. He built for himself a two-room adobe house, (these two rooms still stand today, as the front rooms of the fine home he built later). But Grandmother had scarcely begun to keep house when they were forced to flee for safety from the Indians during the Blackhawk War. Grandmother had a large chest which Grandfather had made as part of the furniture for their new home. Into this chest went all their bedding, clothing, and household goods which could be moved.

      When they reached Nephi, Grandfather unloaded the chest and leaving his wife and four babies in the middle of the street immediately started back for Richfield with a company to help bring more families to safety. The city of Nephi was overflowing and grandmother finally found lodging in a granary. She spread her quilts on the soft grain and made a fine bed for herself and children. They had a hard time to get enough food to eat in Nephi the first year. Uncle Frank was born about that time, and all his life he claimed that he was born so hungry he never did get all he wanted to eat. They lived in Nephi for about six years—1867 to 1873. When they returned to Richfield, everything they had left except the house and land had been carried away by the Indians including the wheat he had had stored in the house for flour. Once more they must begin anew, and food was very scarce until they could raise a crop.

      Grandfather soon prospered again and until just before his death he was considered one of the wealthiest men in that country. He was soon able to provide grandmother with a comfortable home which he himself built. He also made most of the furniture. Her home was furnished with stoves, sewing machine, and a fine organ when such articles were very scarce there.

      Grandfather and Grandmother Baker were sealed and received their endowments in the Endowment House. Grandmother became the mother of thirteen children—a Bakers “Dozen”, she called them. They were: William George, Ruth Jean Rio, Henry, William Hayward, Frank Arnold, Mary Hannah Hayward, Walter, John Richard, Charles Fredric, Elizabeth, Eugene Hayward, Claude Vincent, and Edward Lester. All except William Hayward and Charles Fredric she raised to adulthood. All of them married and have families of their own.

      An outstanding characteristic was her supreme faith in the healing power of the Priesthood. It stood her well in the gigantic task of rearing a large family in pioneer circumstances. At one time father was severely burned. He fell into a tub of boiling soap. He was a child of seven at the time, was running backwards and fell headfirst into the boiling lye and fat. He was so badly burned that some flesh fell from the bones on his right arm. Grandmother’s only treatment consisted of olive oil and administration by those holding the power of the priesthood. It could only have been through her faith that my father was spared, no organs of his body left weak, nor any disfiguring scars on his face or hands.

      During the last years of grandmother’s life she was ill much of the time. The only relief she could find was through the laying on of hands by the Elders, and that was sure to bring relief if she could have the Elders whom she chose. More than once she had them go to the second time for other Elders who were more faithful. Grandmother knew her religions and lived it. She was sincere and humble, loving everyone, and being dearly loved by all who knew her. Her life was a busy one, with a large family for whom to cook and sew. She must make all the clothing, even underclothing and overalls. The stockings were knitted by hand, and her children’s clothing must never be torn nor soiled. In addition to this, a good life’s work for anyone, she kept hotel.

      They opened the first hotel in Richfield or Manti while Grandfather was mail contractor, and kept it open for sixteen or eighteen years. It was kept in their home. Grandmother cared for the rooms and served three good meals doing all the work herself, with the help of her children. I have her dinner bell. She used it to call her family and hotel guests to their meals. She took it to Boulder with her. There was no bell for the school, so she let them take it. It was still in use when I taught school there and I called the children into school with it, not knowing it was my grandmother’s bell. Then the old schoolhouse burned down. One thing that was saved was the bell. My father told me it was his mother’s bell. Ken Memmott who was principal of the school had it and when I asked him for it he gave it to me.

      I can remember seeing Grandmother Baker but twice when I was four and again when I was about nine years old. At that time Father was building our home and made several trips to Richfield with wagons and teams to get materials. Mother went out one trip and took me along. I remember Grandmother as seeming to be the most wonderful person I had ever known. The “fuss” she made over me gave me the impression that I must be quite an important little girl at least in her estimation. I remember her taking me by the hand and leading me into her own room. “Grandmother’s child must sleep with her.” I felt very timid in her bed.

      I have a little purse she sent me. It is a tiny money purse with a chain handle and a picture of a lady riding in a buggy on one side. It was the first purse I had ever owned and I thought it the most wonderful thing in the world, and I haven’t changed my mind yet, because she sent it. Did I use it? No! Never! It was too precious. I put it carefully in my trunk to go and look at it occasionally and then tuck it safely away again.

      In addition to raising her own large family, Grandma raised two granddaughters, May Baker Oldroyd and Mildred Maker Self. They were both the daughters of her son, Frank, who lost two wives. May was the daughter of his first wife, Nettie Spencer. After her death, Grandma took the baby girl and raised her as her own. Then Frank married Kate Hawley and four children were born to them, Arnold, William, Mildred, and Kate. Grandma took Mildred after her mother died.

      Grandma Baker believed in a big family. There were six years between my two brothers Burnell and Ariel. Mother made the remark that whenever she went to Richfield during that time, Grandmother would say—“You are looking fine, Lillie, but you should have another baby in your arms.”

      My mother also told about one time when the family sat down to dinner at Grandma’s home and there was a cracked plate at Grandma’s place. She picked up the plate, struck it on the edge of the table, breaking it into half a dozen pieces. At the same time she said, “I’ll never eat from that cracked plate again.” That tells me that she was particular about her surroundings.

      I remember when we received word of Grandmother’s death. Father immediately mounted a horse and started for Richfield. Other members of the family couldn’t go. I felt like something very precious had gone out of my life, and my memories of her became sacred. I regret that I could not have known her better.

      In June of 1983, Mildred sent me a copy of her life story. In it she tells of her life at Grandma Baker’s which to me seems significant to our understanding of Grandma’s character and how she lived. I am, therefore, including some of Mildred’s life story here, even though I shall include a complete copy in this book.

      “After our Mother’s funeral I was moved across the street to live with Grandma Baker. Grandpa Baker had died in 1901, so she was a widow, age 70 years, when she took me. She had also raised May after her mother died (Nettie) besides her own family of eleven. (She had 13 but 2 died in infancy)…

      “I had the best home of all of us. Grandma always seemed to have money. She had cattle in Boulder that her sons, Claude and Eddie, looked after. Grandma and I went to Salt Lake to L.D.S. Conference several times on the train, D.&R.G. Heber J. Grant was president of the Church then. We stayed at nice hotels and ate at restaurants. Once we stayed at Hotel Utah on the 10th floor. I remember kneeling on a chair by the window and looking down on South Temple. In the evenings we went up on the “Roof Garden”. Then two or three summers Grandma and I went to LaGrande, Oregon, and stayed most of the summer at Aunt Mary Hannah’s, Grandma’s daughter, Ethel and Erma’s mother. We took the sleeper out of Pocatello, Idaho, and had breakfast in the dining car. Those trips were wonderful to me and I always had nice dresses, (sometimes made by a dressmaker named Edo Cody), nice shoes (Mary Janes) and pretty hair ribbons. Our hair ribbons always matched our dresses.

      “I had started taking music lessons on Grandma’s organ when I was about eight…Father had had a good wheat crop in 1915 which was selling for $4.50 a bushel as World War I was on. So in 1916, when he came home for the winter, Grandma was after him to buy me a piano, and he did. Not too many people had a piano in those days.

      “…I was 13 by then. On hot summer evenings, Grandma and my Aunts used to sit out on our front porch and listen to me play the piano…Grandma thought my piano playing was the wonder of the world. She especially like the hymns: “Come, Come, Ye Saints”, “I Know That My Redeemer Lives”, and “Hard Times, Hard Times, Come Again No More”. My father liked “Red Wing”, “Snow Dear”, and “After the Ball”.

      “…I had long hair—Grandma was proud of my hair and she used to brush it and brush it when I’d have much rather gone out to play…Every afternoon after dinner I had to get ‘cleaned up’—I could play in the mornings—clean dress (usually starched), hair brushed and combed, hair ribbons, etc., then practice my music.”

      The Family of William George Baker Sr. and Hannah Hayward Baker consisted of ten sons and three daughters. The names and birthdates of these children are as follows:

      William George Jr. was born on October 19, 1856 in Ogden, Utah.
      Ruth Jean Rio was born on April 17, 1859 in Ogden, Utah.
      Henry was born on May 7, 1861 in Moroni, Utah.
      William Hayward was born on August 17, 1863 in Moroni, Utah.
      Frank Arnold was born on January 7, 1866 in Richfield, Utah.
      Mary Hannah Hayward was born on March 25, 1868 in Nephi, Utah.
      Walter was born on February 9, 1870 in Nephi, Utah.
      John Richard was born on April 27, 1872 in Nephi, Utah.
      Charles Fredric was born on June 21, 1874 in Richfield, Utah.
      Elizabeth was born on August 23, 1875 in Richfield, Utah.
      Eugene Hayward was born on June 6, 1878 in Richfield, Utah.
      Claude Vincent was born on March 20, 1881 in Richfield, Utah.
      Edward Lester was born on October 11, 1883 in Richfield, Utah.

      William Hayward died at two years old and Charles Fredric died at two months old. The parents and all the children that grew to maturity but Frank Arnold have lived in Boulder, Utah at various times.

      William George Jr., the eldest son, was the first to move into Boulder. In June of 1891 he left his home in Thurber (now Bicknell), Wayne County, Utah with a four horse team and a large wagon in which were his wife and five children and also a load of provisions and household goods. They traveled with their friends, the Frank Haws family, as far as the Haws Cheese Factory at Bear Creek on the south slope of the Boulder Mountain. Leaving there, George drove on to Boulder Valley, the first wagon over that route. His cattle had previously been taken there and while looking after them he had built a twenty foot square cabin on a piece of land he wished to obtain. This land, a section containing 640 acres, he filed on as what is known as a Desert Entry. Living on and improving a tract of land like this, and eventually paying the U.S. government one dollar per acre, obtains the patent or deed. All of this George did. He made a beautiful ranch and lived there nineteen years.

      During George’s first summer there two of his brothers, Henry and John, came to work for him. Henry remained and became his partner in the ranch and cattle business. Five years later, Henry established himself on the land of his own with one half of the cattle, horses and profits of the five years on the ranch. Henry and his family remained in Boulder ten years.

      In 1892, a friend of George’s, Willard Brinkerhoff from Wayne County, filed on the section east of George’s, built a cabin and did a little work on a canal that carried enough water for both sections. Two years later, Mr. Brinkerhoff became discouraged and wished to go back to Wayne County. This resulted in George trading some property Wayne County for Brinkerhoff’s interests in the 640 acres he had filed on in Boulder and in 1894 James Peterson, brother-in-law of George, came into Boulder on a visit, became interest in obtaining land and George let him have a part of the Brinkerhoff property. He moved his family into the house Brinkerhoff had built and a year later he built a house on his own part of the section. His wife was Ruth Jean Rio (Jane), the third Baker to come to Boulder to live.

      In the year 1897, George’s father, William George Sr., wrote a letter to George asking how he could obtain land as he, too, with his wife and two unmarried sons, Claude Vincent and Edward, and one daughter, Elizabeth, wished to move to Boulder. Another son, Eugene, was living with George. On receipt of the letter from his father, George went to Richfield to help his father move into Boulder, giving him a tract of land from the Brinkerhoff section and encouraged the boys to homestead land adjoining.

      In about 1896, John Baker returned to Boulder, brining his wife and two little daughters, Alta and Melba. John filed on a homestead claim, one line of which joined the Brinkerhoff section. He moved into the old Brinkerhoff house until he could build his own house. This family lived in Boulder five or six years and then sold their interests and moved back to Richfield.

      In the year 1898, Victor E. Bean, who was also a brother-in-law of George, having married Mary Hannah Baker, came to Boulder and George made it possible for him to obtain the remaining part of the Brinkerhoff section. He, too, moved his family into the old Brinkerhoff house and spent five summers there. He had signed a contract to teach school in Escalante, a town twenty-five miles away. He bought a home in Escalante and taught each winter for five years then sold all his property in Escalante and Boulder and moved to La Grande, Oregon.

      Walter Baker filed on a homestead claim in Boulder sometime in the 1890’s and built a cabin, but went away and did not return until about 1907. He came then with his wife and three children. Two other children were born to them. Walter died in September of 1912. His widow, Sophia Boyce Baker, sold her Boulder property and moved to Logan, Utah.

      Elizabeth Baker went back to Richfield in 1901. She married Thomas Ogden of Richfield and never returned to Boulder.

      Eugene Baker married Rhoda Cottam in 1899 and spent two years in Boulder after his marriage and then moved away, having obtained property in Escalante.

      Claude V. Baker lived in Boulder from the time he was sixteen years old until his death at the age of sixty-four. He married Lillie Liston of Escalante in 1902. Their family of five sons and two daughters grew up in Boulder. The daughters moved away at the time of their marriage. The sons eventually moved away. Only two of them were still in Boulder at the time of their father’s death in 1945. One of these, Lester, the youngest son, died. His widow with their four sons moved away in 1960. Only one son and his family remained in Boulder at that time. He sold his property and moved away in 1960, the last of the Boulder Bakers.

      All in all there had lived in Boulder 68 persons by the name of Baker and many relatives by marriage, between the dates of June 1891 and October 1960. There is no one left in Boulder by the name of Baker at this date of 1961.

      Below is a list of surnames of residents of Boulder during the time the place has been settled:

      Black, Bowers, Barney, Alvey, Combs, Coleman, Cornelles, Durfee, George, Gresham, Gledhill, Grimes, Hall, Haws, Hansen, Jepson, King, Lyman, Leavitt, Liston, Martin, McNelly, Mooseman, McGath, Nasor, Ogden, Ormond, Osborn, Poulson, Sheffield, Safely, Simons, Thompson, Walcott, Woolsey, Wilson and De Long.

  • Sources 
    1. [S32] Unknown, (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Original data: Family Tree files submitted by Ancestry members.), Ancestry Family Tree.

    2. [S231], Unknown, (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Operations Inc, 2004.Original data - United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Twelfth Census of the United States, 1900. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1900. T623, 1), Year: 1900; Census Place: Escalante, Garfield, Utah; Roll: 1683; Page: 1A; Enumeration District: 0094; FHL microfilm: 1241683.

    3. [S232], Unknown, (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Operations Inc, 2006.Original data - Thirteenth Census of the United States, 1910 (NARA microfilm publication T624, 1,178 rolls). Records of the Bureau of the Census, Record Group 29. National Archives, Wa), Year: 1910; Census Place: Boulder, Garfield, Utah; Roll: T624_1603; Page: 11A; Enumeration District: 0046; FHL microfilm: 1375616.

    4. [S427], Unknown, (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Operations Inc, 2005.Original data - United States, Selective Service System. World War I Selective Service System Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Admin), Registration State: Utah; Registration County: Garfield; Roll: 1983884.

    5. [S192], Unknown, (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Operations Inc, 2010. Images reproduced by FamilySearch.Original data - Fourteenth Census of the United States, 1920. (NARA microfilm publication T625, 2076 rolls). Records of the Bureau of the Census, Rec), Year: 1920; Census Place: Boulder, Garfield, Utah; Roll: T625_1862; Page: 12B; Enumeration District: 74; Image: 1010.

    6. [S157], 1930 United States Federal Census, ( Operations Inc), Year: 1930; Census Place: Boulder, Garfield, Utah; Roll: 2416; Page: 1A; Enumeration District: 0002; Image: 10.0; FHL microfilm: 2342150.

    7. [S156], Unknown, (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Operations, Inc., 2012.Original data - United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Sixteenth Census of the United States, 1940. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1940. T62), Year: 1940; Census Place: Boulder, Garfield, Utah; Roll: T627_4213; Page: 1A; Enumeration District: 9-3.

    8. [S268] Banks, Ray, comp., Unknown, (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Operations Inc, 2000.).

    9. [S863], Unknown, ( Operations, Inc.).

    10. [S429], Unknown, (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Operations Inc, 2010.Original data - Bureau of Vital Statistics. Utah Death Index, 1847-1966. Salt Lake City, UT, USA: Utah Department of Health. View Complete Source List.Original data: Bureau of Vital St), Utah State Archives and Records Service; Salt Lake City, UT; Utah State Archives and Records Service; File Number #: 1945000534.

    11. [S161], Web: Utah, Find A Grave Index, 1847-2012, ( Operations, Inc.).

    12. [S169], Unknown, (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Operations, Inc., 2013.Original data - Cemetery Records. RootsWeb. accessed 21 March 2012.Original data: Cemetery Records. RootsWeb. http://userdb.rootsweb.) (Reliability: 0).